Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Record HD video via FireWire -- revisited' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Record HD video via FireWire -- revisited
Authored by: G5Dude on Apr 26, '06 09:51:53AM
No mention of HDTV recording on Mac would be complete without mentioning iRecord.

It can schedule numerous recordings in advance, can record from multiple set-top boxes, changes channels with both Motorola and SciAtl STBs, and lets you pick the drive you record to for each recording. I've been using it since v0.2.0, and, coupled with MPEG Streamclip encoding to 720P H.264 at 4Mbps, it makes for a nice way to archive HDTV to DVD-4s with little quality loss.

Too bad 5.1 AAC support is still a little lacking. Manually converting from AC-3 to six AIFF files to six AAC files reincorporated as channels in one 5.1 AAC file is possible, but you end up with a huge sound file and possible syncing issues.

Record HD video via FireWire -- revisited
Authored by: Jeff Thompson on May 15, '06 06:48:33AM

iRecord is pretty nice. It's got a pretty good scheduling feature. I had it fail on me once though; I had to delete all the scheduled recordings and re-enter them to get it to work again.

Even then, I've never been able to get it to work reliably. It seems that if I scedule a recording that is over 60 minutes long I can't open the file using MPEG StreamClip. MPEG StreamClip claims that the files are an unknown file format. Kinda agravating when you've scheduled ten or twenty recordings and they've all failed to open.

Has anyone had any luck using iRecord with larger files?

Record HD video via FireWire -- revisited
Authored by: Jeff Thompson on May 15, '06 07:33:11AM

iRecord also seems to cut short the video for scheduled items longer than one hour. I've been able to open one of four recordsing in VLC, but it was cut short. The other three won't play at all.

So far my review of iRecord would be, nice interface, too bad it doesn't work.

Record HD video via FireWire -- revisited
Authored by: blairb666 on Jul 29, '06 03:10:31PM

I don't understand it... I followed this hint and it worked *perfectly.* I recorded four times (1 min segments just to test) from my SA3250 box to my 20" intel iMac and the results were awesome. Fast forward two minutes, nothing has changed... now all I get are zero byte files, or files that just won't play. VLC shows no error, MPEG streamclip tells me Unsupported file type. I have changed *nothing* since it worked. I've tried rebooting, powering on/off the cable box, unplugging/replugging. Any ideas?

Record HD video via FireWire -- revisited
Authored by: blairb666 on Jul 29, '06 08:09:46PM

Well apparently I changed the box so that it displays in 720p, as that is all the monitor (not my computer monitor) attached to it will display. As soon as the box is changed to 720p, the recordings produced by avcvideocap are worthless. Not sure why 720p would cause it to stop functioning. I can run it in 1080i, but then I can't watch TV from the box.

iRecord now FireRecord
Authored by: gabester on Nov 29, '08 10:06:38PM
Slightly different URL:

I was able to get everything working with this and VLC in one try (after playing with and being totally confused by VirtualDVHS)... I called it a night. However, it hasn't worked since?