Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Parallels Workstation - Run other OSes alongside OS X' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Parallels Workstation - Run other OSes alongside OS X
Authored by: zelet on Apr 18, '06 08:00:21AM

I really want to know how to re-enable the virtualization technology in the Mac Mini. I really hate it when Apple goes out of their way to cripple hardware. I think they are the only company to do that kind of stupid stuff.

So, the question is - how long until somebody figures out how to re-enable it? Can you please post it here?

Thanks

Parallels Workstation - Run other OSes alongside OS X
Authored by: tinpan on Apr 18, '06 08:31:30AM

Tell me more of this apple crippling virtualization technology on Mac mini's. I have only seen speculation that this has been done and cannot find any proof. I'd like to know if this is true before I look into working around it. Can you point me to some links that are not speculative?

Parallels Workstation - Run other OSes alongside OS X
Authored by: Shawn Parr on Apr 18, '06 09:24:50AM

Apple did not purposefully cripple the Minis in this fashion. If you go to the Parallels forums you can see a lot of discussion of this issue. Basically the Minis that are disabled will often become enabled at random, sometimes sleep is involved, sometimes just after letting the machine sit for a long time.

It is all but confirmed to be a firmware bug, and according to Dave Schroeder (the Dave Schroeder of University of Wisconsin), Apple has been informed of it and should be working on fixing it.

Parallels Workstation - Run other OSes alongside OS X
Authored by: robg on Apr 18, '06 11:05:28AM

It certainly seems to be working on my mini -- the acceleration option is at High, and the VT box is checked...

-rob.

Parallels Workstation - Run other OSes alongside OS X
Authored by: adrianm on Apr 19, '06 12:07:47AM

Mine is high and checked too, but you get a warning when running a VM that it's disabled in the firmware.

Parallels Workstation - Run other OSes alongside OS X
Authored by: avocade on Apr 23, '06 05:47:50AM

Was on mine too, but as noted, it gives you a warning dialogue the first time you launch the app, but not the subsequent times. Hope this is a bug and not a deliberate crippling, however, Apple has been noted for that before. What is this I'm hearing that you can't even run Final Cut Studio (most apps anyway) on the new Mini's? I'm sure the graphics chipset isn't _that_ bad...

Parallels Workstation - Run other OSes alongside OS X
Authored by: markuswarren on Apr 18, '06 08:32:32AM

have a look at this thread on the Parallels support forum: