Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Boot Camp - Apple simplifies Windows XP on Intel Macs' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Boot Camp - Apple simplifies Windows XP on Intel Macs
Authored by: whenders0n on Apr 07, '06 08:37:04AM

This is good news for some of us. I just read that Apple is saying it <b>won't</b> be providing such a solution, and I think that is in their favor. If windows software can run on the mac, as seamlessly and in as many clicks as software does in classic, that could seriously undermine efforts to port software to the Mac (who here still has to boot classic to launch software? Now imagine having to do that for software that not just old, but is in fact still being updated - but only for windows...and for a lot more software, since this 'classic' will have the dominance of the PC marketshare).

Boot Camp - Apple simplifies Windows XP on Intel Macs
Authored by: wheeles on Apr 07, '06 09:31:20AM

Where did you read that? Please post the relevant link.

Boot Camp - Apple simplifies Windows XP on Intel Macs
Authored by: whenders0n on Apr 07, '06 10:25:47AM

Wired's article:

Boot Camp - Apple simplifies Windows XP on Intel Macs
Authored by: Peter Maurer on Apr 07, '06 04:03:32PM
Here's the exact quote:
"We are not providing a way to run Windows within OS X," Natalie Kerris, an Apple spokeswoman, said Wednesday.
Now, isn't this a typical Apple statement? No one said they won't. They just don't ;-)

Boot Camp - Windows XP on Intel Macs
Authored by: concrete on Apr 07, '06 04:13:06PM

I have to say this, is this site and others like Macfixit about to have WindowsXP Hints or WindowsFixit. XP on my Mac is not a want.
I come to MacOSXhints for Mac problems... not Windows running on a Mac. Sure having Windows on the great Apple box so the office can all be simulated like Borg is ok, tricking people into that you are on a Mac... sort of like those custom Lamborghini replicas. It's just not cricket. And it is good to see that MacOSXhints is not dominated by it... leading by not having Bootcamp and XP issues

Boot Camp - Apple simplifies Windows XP on Intel Macs
Authored by: Baggins on Apr 07, '06 10:01:32AM

Sigh. Running Windows in a window on OS X at native speeds is not going to affect Mac software development in the least because people want OS X software, not Windows software for their Macs, and software vendors will be happy to sell it to them.

I swear, I have never met so many insecure people in my life. Do you really think the OS X experience is so weak that people will WANT to use Windows or Windows software after they use it?

Here's what I see happening. More people buy Macs because the barrier to entry is now very low (runs your Windows software). They get a good exposure to OS X and realize just what a piece of crap Windows and windows software is. Demand for OS X software INCREASES as a result.

I mean, for crying out loud, just using Word for Windows after using it on OS X will make you want to hurl.

Boot Camp - Apple simplifies Windows XP on Intel Macs
Authored by: whenders0n on Apr 07, '06 10:33:54AM
While I think it's true that no one in their right mind would prefer a virtualized/dual boot solution to software compatibility issues, it is undeniable that such technology will lower the urgency and intensity (though perhaps not the volume) of the demand. This is especially true for games where the marketability time period is often almost as short as the time to port it, and GUI is not an issue, but it is also true for many other applications, especially large-scale corporate type software products (where code-base is large and most users are locked into windows). This move could definitely increase the amount of people demanding OS X native apps, but I would be surprised if it didn't make most people less outspoken about their wants if they can just run it in Windows.

Boot Camp - Apple simplifies Windows XP on Intel Macs
Authored by: Baggins on Apr 07, '06 12:31:52PM

People always want to believe the worst, I guess.

Boot Camp - Apple simplifies Windows XP on Intel Macs
Authored by: markuswarren on Apr 07, '06 10:34:29AM

Maybe Apple will, maybe they won't. Personally I have an inkling they will release/bundle their own virtualization solution when 10.5 is launched.

Dual boot is nice, but for my needs, virtualization is what's needed and right now, that need is fulfilled by Parallels.

I think we should wait until at least WWDC to see what is in 10.5 before taking Apple at it's word.