Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'An AppleScript to combine Word documents' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
An AppleScript to combine Word documents
Authored by: wrycooter on Mar 23, '06 09:28:20AM

BBEdit is my word processor of choice (as opposed to a word FORMATTER like Word) It is really a TEXT processor, and I could probably easily say over 99% of my text documents are as Text rather than Word documents.

I think there may actually be an easy way to cocatenate (clobber together) various text files (BBEdit, TextEdit, TeachText etc) within BBEdit itself, but back before OS X, I used this classic application called, simply enough, Cocatenate. Is there anything out there like Cocatenate for OS X?

An AppleScript to combine Word documents
Authored by: semiotek on Mar 23, '06 10:05:57AM

Doesn't work for me - apparently the aliases for the two documents don't understand the <<event daVSnoOI>> message!

An AppleScript to combine Word documents
Authored by: Baggins on Mar 23, '06 11:16:01AM

Adobe InDesign is a word formatter.

Word is a word processor with some formatting capabilities. BBEdit is a text editor with some word processing capabilities.

Some people are anally retentive pendantics.

An AppleScript to combine Word documents
Authored by: weeksatinsead on Mar 23, '06 12:13:19PM

For pure text files, you can use "cat" in the terminal.

cat file1.txt file2.txt > file1and2.txt

An AppleScript to combine Word documents
Authored by: MJCube on Mar 23, '06 02:40:20PM
One more note of pedantry to wrycooter: The word you want for concatenating is not clobber, which means to hit hard (or in the Unix environment, to overwrite a file), but cobble.

Back on the topic, I also keep many files in plain text, especially now with TextWrangler's full Unicode support. For actual text formatting (without too much advanced layout), for me STILL nothing beats Word 5.1 (from 1992!) I actually still use it in Classic just to continue to keep all my invoices in the same old file. But in the last few years I have become much more friendly with TextEdit (and RTF code itself) for new documents.

An AppleScript to combine Word documents
Authored by: jacobolus on Mar 23, '06 06:10:33PM

Word 5.5 was excellent.

God why did they ever release version 6? It's been downhill ever since. Now, 15 years later, Word 5.5 beats the socks off Word 2004.

An AppleScript to combine Word documents
Authored by: jacobolus on Mar 23, '06 06:12:53PM

Ack. 5.1 rather.

An AppleScript to combine Word documents
Authored by: Token on Mar 24, '06 05:50:21AM

I think the rationale behind Word 6 for Mac was an attempt on side of MS to bring the code bases of the Windows and Mac version on par. This wholeheartedly 'altruistic' move would probably also save them some work later on, so they thought. What they created was a horrible monster, extremely unstable..

As we who suffered much laughing from pc using friends can attest to, that wasn't a very smart move :-)

An AppleScript to combine Word documents
Authored by: jacobolus on Mar 23, '06 06:15:41PM
One more fun link, from TidBITS, april fools 2003, "Microsoft Word 5.1 for Mac OS X": http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=07139