Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Fix Front Row 'movie trailer not responding' errors' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Fix Front Row 'movie trailer not responding' errors
Authored by: jar0d on Mar 22, '06 02:56:47AM

Regulus, that's a great hint and, it seems, the final answer !!

I was really upset to not be able to access the Movie trailers on a consistent basis. Using the other tricks, like deleting the Quicktime and FrontRow cache files, or deleting the Bezel and FrontRow pref files, only work partially.

I did what Regulus did, except I didn't reduce the quality of the trailers to 320, just kept them in 640, and didn't want to fool around with cron scripting.

I preferred to create an Automator process to download the trailers xml page from apple.com. This process was created as a Finder module, so it's just accessible in a right-click.

And now FrontRow works perfectly.

Many thanks to all contributors !

Fix Front Row 'movie trailer not responding' errors
Authored by: regulus on Mar 22, '06 01:01:15PM

Ha!!! That's great. It seems you were as excited as I was at this solution. To finally rid ourselves of that pesky problem in a fairly simple fashion... awesome. Just remember to hack the front row executable again after the next update from Apple.

Re: your not using the cron and script stuff...
I like the whole process automated so I don't have to think about it any more. I actually set cron up to run the script 4 times a day because I have no idea when Apple might update the current.xml file. I also made the script into and applescript application and put it in my start-up items so any time I reboot my computer it is automatically updated with the latest version.

Fix Front Row 'movie trailer not responding' errors
Authored by: HelpfulGeek on Mar 31, '06 11:25:48AM

Regulus, would you mind sending me that applescript? I'm a scripting newbie, and must admit I'd rather learn from finished work.

My email address is curtis@helpfulgeek.ca

Cheers,

Curtis

Fix Front Row 'movie trailer not responding' errors
Authored by: regulus on Mar 31, '06 11:22:30PM

It's just a one line statement since I already have the script, so we just need to call the script with the "do shell script" command. Just copy the following into script editor, save it as an application as run only, then add it to your login items.
------------------------------------------
do shell script "/usr/local/bin/frontrow.sh"
------------------------------------------

That's it! Note: change the path so that it is the path where your script resides. Keep it in quotes or it won't work.

Fix Front Row 'movie trailer not responding' errors
Authored by: HelpfulGeek on Mar 31, '06 11:16:10AM

Thanks for the great tip regulus!

I also didn't want to limit my movies to 320, but rather keep them at 640 until those times when my bandwidth is limited enough to warrant downsizing them....So I took the last line of Regulus' code and turned it into a stand alone script to downsize the movies if necessary.

Here's the problem: It seems Front Row caches a copy of the current.xml file somewhere. The only way I can convince Front Row to recognize the new smaller movie files is to log out and log back in. I imagine there's an easier way (perhaps just restarting the Front Row app from terminal?), but I figured I'd seek some input from those smarter than I.

Cheers,

Curtis
The Helpful Geek

Fix Front Row 'movie trailer not responding' errors
Authored by: regulus on Mar 31, '06 11:38:29PM

I'm glad you like it. I also have stopped getting the smaller trailers because the 640 version looks great on my TV. I just commented the perl command out in my script so it doesn't run. I figure if I need to go back to the smaller ones I can just uncomment it. I hadn't realized the updating stuff you mentioned, I'll have to look into that. I guess the file doesn't change that often so it gets cached somehow. I imagine if the file did change often frontrow wouldn't cache it.

Good luck and post if you figure a way around the caching.