Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Customize the Cocoa text binding system' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Customize the Cocoa text binding system
Authored by: monecky on Mar 21, '06 09:39:29AM

Does anybody know if there has been any work to integrate vim commands? I've searched a couple times over the past year, and couldn't find anything. My productivity would skyrocket.

vim commands
Authored by: Lectrick on Mar 21, '06 10:45:37AM

I can't find any either, but I'm sure that if you did a little work to create the keybinding for it (even if it only covered the most popular vim commands), you would make a lot of geeks happy...

---
In /dev/null, no one can hear you scream

Customize the Cocoa text binding system
Authored by: jacobolus on Mar 21, '06 11:03:01AM

It's not very possible, because Vim is a modal editor, whereas NSTextView widgets are not. But if you want, you can try to approximate some vim bindings by using modifier keys and leaving it non-modal.

If you come up with some good vim approximations, let me know and I'll add them to my page.

Customize the Cocoa text binding system
Authored by: hbp4c on Mar 21, '06 03:07:35PM

Vi keybindings exist for the bash shell, a user enter inserts mode by default unless they hit esc to go into command mode for whatever reason.

I don't see why a keybinding couldn't be designed that emulated this functionality.

Customize the Cocoa text binding system
Authored by: ky11x on Mar 21, '06 08:39:06PM

Because Cocoa text fields are not modal. The original poster already told you why it is not possible to do this within the context of the Cocoa classes without doing more programming than mere configuration.

Customize the Cocoa text binding system
Authored by: mazatty on Mar 22, '06 10:29:57PM

while not a complete solution it is a working proof of concept, and still quite handy. i'm using it right now to write this message.

you can find viAllOver at http://www.dabble.org/viallover/

it works in most text fields of most cocoa apps, including text fields in html pages with Safari. also works in TextEdit, Mail, and SubEthaEdit to name a few.

i am the author and am still looking for help. enjoy.