Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'VGA->Component Video - Breakout Box or Adapter?' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
VGA->Component Video - Breakout Box or Adapter?
Authored by: mxcantor on Mar 21, '06 04:51:54AM

Unfortuantely, I got my plasma just before they started putting DVI on all of them (good deal though - $1700 for 32 in 2004).. anyway, looking at my TV, the back has inputs that are labelled R G B H V. Now, I've seen a VGA to 5 component adapter and a VGA to 3 component adapter. Any idea what the H/V signals are for? are they necessary for 1080i?

[ Reply to This | # ]
VGA->Component Video - Breakout Box or Adapter?
Authored by: CarlosD on Mar 21, '06 09:16:15AM

The cheap VGA->Component adapters you see ($20-40, say) are specifically for certain ATI cards which have special circuitry to do RGB->YPbPr component colorspace translation. The more expensive transcoders ($150-300+) do this translation outside of the box, but I have yet to see one that is explicitly super flexible in terms of resolutions supported.

If your inputs include H and V, you should get the 5 connector cable. The H and V are for horizontal and vertical sync signals which your set may need. When searching, I saw plenty of expensive cables ($100 range), but I got one at for $25-ish. It is thick, very well shielded, and works well.

Good luck!


Carlos D
my music

[ Reply to This | # ]