Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'VGA->Component Video - Breakout Box or Adapter?' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
VGA->Component Video - Breakout Box or Adapter?
Authored by: daran on Mar 21, '06 03:31:18AM

There is some confusion around the term "component". Technically it means that the different color components of the image are transfered using separate wires. Now for TVs this often translates to Y,Pb,Pr which is *not* supported directly on any Mac. So for this type of input you'd need a converter.

That said, many (most?) TVs have an RGB input, which also uses separate components (sometimes refered to as VGA style). For this you only need a passive adapter (cheap and no signal conversion so may have better quality). At least in Europe this tends to be supported using SCART-RGB input, even on rather cheap TVs.

Some high end TVs also have DVI input, which is the digital equivalent of RGB and by any means use it if you have it;-)

[ Reply to This | # ]
VGA->Component Video - Breakout Box or Adapter?
Authored by: mxcantor on Mar 21, '06 04:51:54AM

Unfortuantely, I got my plasma just before they started putting DVI on all of them (good deal though - $1700 for 32 in 2004).. anyway, looking at my TV, the back has inputs that are labelled R G B H V. Now, I've seen a VGA to 5 component adapter and a VGA to 3 component adapter. Any idea what the H/V signals are for? are they necessary for 1080i?

[ Reply to This | # ]
VGA->Component Video - Breakout Box or Adapter?
Authored by: CarlosD on Mar 21, '06 09:16:15AM

The cheap VGA->Component adapters you see ($20-40, say) are specifically for certain ATI cards which have special circuitry to do RGB->YPbPr component colorspace translation. The more expensive transcoders ($150-300+) do this translation outside of the box, but I have yet to see one that is explicitly super flexible in terms of resolutions supported.

If your inputs include H and V, you should get the 5 connector cable. The H and V are for horizontal and vertical sync signals which your set may need. When searching, I saw plenty of expensive cables ($100 range), but I got one at for $25-ish. It is thick, very well shielded, and works well.

Good luck!


Carlos D
my music

[ Reply to This | # ]