Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'VGA->Component Video - Breakout Box or Adapter?' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
VGA->Component Video - Breakout Box or Adapter?
Authored by: mxcantor on Mar 20, '06 07:52:30PM

Could someone answer this definitively, I've seen conflicting posts. To connect the mini to component video, can I just get a VGA->component video adapter or do I need to purchase one of those transcoder/breakout boxes?

Thanks,
Max

VGA->Component Video - Breakout Box or Adapter?
Authored by: daran on Mar 21, '06 03:31:18AM

There is some confusion around the term "component". Technically it means that the different color components of the image are transfered using separate wires. Now for TVs this often translates to Y,Pb,Pr which is *not* supported directly on any Mac. So for this type of input you'd need a converter.

That said, many (most?) TVs have an RGB input, which also uses separate components (sometimes refered to as VGA style). For this you only need a passive adapter (cheap and no signal conversion so may have better quality). At least in Europe this tends to be supported using SCART-RGB input, even on rather cheap TVs.

Some high end TVs also have DVI input, which is the digital equivalent of RGB and by any means use it if you have it;-)

VGA->Component Video - Breakout Box or Adapter?
Authored by: mxcantor on Mar 21, '06 04:51:54AM

Unfortuantely, I got my plasma just before they started putting DVI on all of them (good deal though - $1700 for 32 in 2004).. anyway, looking at my TV, the back has inputs that are labelled R G B H V. Now, I've seen a VGA to 5 component adapter and a VGA to 3 component adapter. Any idea what the H/V signals are for? are they necessary for 1080i?

VGA->Component Video - Breakout Box or Adapter?
Authored by: CarlosD on Mar 21, '06 09:16:15AM

The cheap VGA->Component adapters you see ($20-40, say) are specifically for certain ATI cards which have special circuitry to do RGB->YPbPr component colorspace translation. The more expensive transcoders ($150-300+) do this translation outside of the box, but I have yet to see one that is explicitly super flexible in terms of resolutions supported.

If your inputs include H and V, you should get the 5 connector cable. The H and V are for horizontal and vertical sync signals which your set may need. When searching, I saw plenty of expensive cables ($100 range), but I got one at http://www.digitalconnection.com for $25-ish. It is thick, very well shielded, and works well.

Good luck!

---

Carlos D
===
my music

VGA->Component Video - Breakout Box or Adapter?
Authored by: davec on Mar 21, '06 12:08:40PM
I use this with my Intel Mac Mini to go from VGA to Component:

VGA to Component Video Converter

Works like a charm.

VGA->Component Video - Breakout Box or Adapter?
Authored by: daled on Apr 24, '06 03:55:25PM

I tried to connect my Intel mini to my Toshiba HD projection TV via the Audio Authority 9A60 box, and only got a blank, black screen. Did you have to follow the method posted by robg, but interfacing Apple's DVI/VGA adapter and the AA 9A60 box between the mini and the TV?

VGA->Component Video - Breakout Box or Adapter?
Authored by: ronozer on Mar 23, '06 01:18:50PM

YES, you must use a breakout box to go from DVI to VGA to Component Video (blue Green Red RCA cables). Audio Authority has one I am using, it cost $129 and does use an AC adapter so you need power. With this box I can pretty much only do 960p, 1080i and 480p on DisplayconfigX from my mini....And I still need to adjust the damn porches some more!

VGA->Component Video - Breakout Box or Adapter?
Authored by: robwrongshoes on Jul 11, '06 10:53:09AM

Here's what I was told by a tech who has done several of these. Specifically, this was his response when I told him I was thinking the best solution was to buy a convertor box like the AA 9A 60 and then optimizing the picture using SwitchResX:

"While it is technically possible, this conversion is not recommended. You will never achieve resolution approaching hd. In fact, with capture conversion you will actually loose resolution. Simplify your project by adding an hd tuner from your local cable company or sat provider. Most of the newer boxes feature a passthrough dvi or HDMI connection. Once you've done this, you can then connect your mac through the cable box. Your TV should still be able to connect to the box using traditional component inputs. Enough data will flow through to produce a real hd image."

So anyway, based on what he told me, I called my cable provider and they said they can trade out my old Motorola HD cable box (no HDMI or DVI passthrough inputs) for a new Motorola box that does feature DVI inputs. The icing on the cake-- it's a DVR. Yes, the DVR service is going to be $10 more a month, but I was going to have to pay around $120 for a new AA 9A 60 and another $10 for SwitchResX, so I'm ahead of the game for year one in terms of price, plus I avoid having to make resolution adjustments and I finally get DVR service (much to my wife's chagrine).

Anyway, I'll let you know in two days when they come out with my new box if it worked as planned. If not, I'll be bummed, but at least we'll have explored a potentially good alternative.