Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'SuperDuper - Backup made super simple' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
SuperDuper - Backup made super simple
Authored by: kbradnam on Mar 15, '06 09:39:24AM

The support that I've received from Dave Nanian (creator of SuperDuper!) has been phenomenal. He has been more than helpful with every issue that I've raised with him. It's the kind of software support which more than justifies the cost of the software (which is not exactly expensive anyway).

Another great feature of SuperDuper! is that it will detect new versions and (if you want it to) upgrade itself in place without you having to do anything.

SuperDuper - Backup made super simple
Authored by: demmons65 on Mar 15, '06 10:23:31AM

I'll second the post on the level of support Dave Nanian has given for Super Duper. I bought it a couple years ago and use it for one purpose or another on a weekly basis.

---
d a v e

SuperDuper - Backup made super simple
Authored by: rprather12 on Mar 15, '06 02:32:23PM

I also want to vote for Dave as the Support Person of the Year!

If all software had the support he and his forum provides life would be very easy!

The only time SD! has let me down is when I tried to use it in a way it wasn't intended and after going back to the manual I found a specific reference to the mistake I had made.

---
Rick

SuperDuper - Backup made super simple
Authored by: da2357 on Mar 16, '06 03:32:04AM

How does SuperDuper rank/compare to Carbon Copy Cloner?

SuperDuper - Backup made super simple
Authored by: wuf810 on Mar 16, '06 04:45:45AM

I will check out SuperDuper but for a another solution I am currently using Personal Backup X4 from Intego. Clone, Full and incremental Backup, scheduling. Works very well.

SD! vs. CCC
Authored by: sjk on Mar 20, '06 12:35:42PM
How does SuperDuper rank/compare to Carbon Copy Cloner?
You can find some discussion of that in MacInTouch Reader Reports - Backup (Part 4). It's a bit over a year old, before SD! 2.0 was released, but much of it is still relevant.

I've posted a few comparisons in MacUpdate and VersionTracker comments in the past but don't have time to find exact references to them now.

I used (and paid for) Carbon Copy Cloner before discovering SuperDuper! a couple years ago. CCC can get the job done, but it's "geekier" than SD! and relies on the sometimes-finicky psync perl script for "smart" file syncing. Nowadays Mike Bombich puts more time and attention into NetRestore, which actually is intended to replace CCC. If/when things go wrong with CC you might end up facing a sometimes-feisty forum hoping to find support, possibly from people without the depth of experience and expertise to accurately and reliably analyze/resolve issues.

SD! is Shirt Pocket Software's flagship product, still actively developed and thoroughly tested. Its highly respected support is well deserved, as many comments from satisfied customers here and elsewhere will attest to.

My backups are important. With support for SuperDuper! being (and remaining) as reliable as the software itself it's clearly my choice (and recommendation) when compared with Carbon Copy Cloner.

SuperDuper - Backup made super simple
Authored by: jeremyrh on Mar 18, '06 07:17:02AM

Another vote for Dave.

I had a problem with a backup and contacted Dave for help. Because of a mix-up with my e-mail (my fault) he was not able to contact me on that address, and Googled me to find an alternative address. Most people would have just said "tough luck". Dave helped me figure out why my files were not backing up properly (it was a problem on CCC as well - a corrupt file).

I felt that was easily worth the shareware fee!