Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'An AppleScript to forward spam to the FTC via Mail' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
An AppleScript to forward spam to the FTC via Mail
Authored by: webgodjj on Feb 24, '06 11:24:12AM

I'm not sure how to do this.. however, wouldn't it be useful to send the message with the full headers?

forwarding with full headers
Authored by: sjk on Feb 24, '06 09:26:56PM

While using Mulberry (before its company's bankruptcy announcement), I'd forward messages as attachments whenever I wanted to guarantee the entire original content (including all headers) would be preserved. That also kept any additional annotations I'd make clearly distinct from the forwarded message. Unfortunately Apple Mail doesn't have a "forward as attachment" function, although recipients aren't always attachment-friendly.

I'm surprised no one's written a Mail plugin(?) for that since it's very useful in certain situations, like manually reporting fraudulent messages. It's yet another of Mulberry's many cool "power" features I occasionally miss although the transition to Mail hasn't been as painful as I'd anticipated.

forwarding with full headers
Authored by: tmneast on Feb 26, '06 01:09:59PM

"Yep, it's best to forward with full headers when reporting spam. I still haven't found a satisfying way to do that with Apple Mail ..."

Until now I would first press Cmd-Opt-U to display the message in raw form, select all and copy, then Cmd-Shift-F to forward, paste to insert the raw message (which includes full original headers), address and send it.

So this thread was encouraging, but when I use the script above, it doesn't get the raw message source. However, I just now discovered an existing script I'd overlooked before: 'Get Source of Selected Messages' (/Library/Scripts/Mail Scripts/Scripts Menu/Get Source of Selected Message.scpt) which apparently came with Panther.

It opens a new message window, plops in the raw source, fills in the subject line ... everything but address the message and send it. I'd imagine that a snippet of the Apple code could be spliced into the original poster's script to make the "ideal" one.

I'm not much of a scripter, but if someone savvy doesn't whip it up in five minutes, I'll stumble through it myself after I've finished some more pressing chores.

forwarding with full headers (results changed!)
Authored by: tmneast on Feb 26, '06 03:21:26PM

Hmm ... I started experimenting with combining the scripts and had a pretty good version going. At one point I reran the original script at the top of this thread. Suddenly it, too, copied the raw source. I don't understand why it works now when it didn't work earlier.

Are others seeing this script not produce raw source (including original headers) or not?

Meantime, I'm going to call it a day and apologize for wasting bandwidth. :^)

forwarding with full headers (results changed!)
Authored by: sjk on Feb 26, '06 11:21:00PM

Thanks for investigating and figuring out this much.

I've manually forwarded raw messages a few times as you described. I'm sure there's some way to automatically encapsulate them as attachments instead. I'll send a request to the Mail Scripts developer since it seems like something he might consider writing and including with that package.

forwarding with full headers (results changed!)
Authored by: tmneast on Mar 02, '06 04:10:36AM

That would be preferable. Thanks for checking with the developer.

Meantime, to clarify my results, the original script above does indeed include full raw content of the spam mail (including original headers) within the body of the message forwarded to the FTC, with no manual intervention on my part. (I don't have to manually choose to display raw format.) I don't know why my first test of the script didn't do that, but it has worked properly since, as is.

Found an AppleScript to forward as attachments
Authored by: tmneast on Mar 09, '07 04:24:24PM
I just came across a method to forward mail as attachments, over on the SpamCop forums: <http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7886>;

It creates files from the spam messages, then attaches those files to a new outgoing message. I imagine some sharp people here can build on this to customize the solution, and maybe offer suggestions to improve it.

An AppleScript to forward spam to the FTC via Mail
Authored by: TigerKR on Feb 27, '06 10:36:03AM

It appears that the full headers are automatically sent with the original script. The full headers are included in the "content" section of the email.

An AppleScript to forward spam to the FTC via Mail
Authored by: sjk on Feb 27, '06 07:16:27PM

I just noticed robg's footnote to your original hint says "though I had to first hit Command-Option-U to display the raw source". I wonder if that's why tmneast noticed different results with it during his "forwarding with full headers" testing.

PS: Maybe more detailed discussion (if any) belongs in the forum? It's awkward following the different topic subthreads here.

An AppleScript to forward spam to the FTC via Mail
Authored by: tmneast on Mar 02, '06 04:30:55AM

I don't know why it didn't work the first time, but it has worked properly ever since. The full raw version of the spam e-mail is sent in the body of the forwarded mail. (I'm using Mail 1.3.11 (v622) under OS X 10.3.9, in case that matters.)

If you change the mailto address to your own, you can see exactly what the FTC will see. It appears the contents would be identical to what an attachment would contain.

I think I'll change the script so the subject line of the forwarded message begins with "Fwd: " to make it clearer.