Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'How to clean the Mighty Mouse's scroll ball' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
How to clean the Mighty Mouse's scroll ball
Authored by: tf23 on Feb 16, '06 08:58:39AM

I haven't figured out a way to clean it. But when the scrollball stops working, I've found that I can press down very hard on the ball, itself, and roll it back and forth a few times.

This seems to dislodge whatever is in there and it works fine again.

How to clean the Mighty Mouse's scroll ball
Authored by: nathalex on Feb 16, '06 09:09:00AM

This one did work for me. Many thanks !!

How to clean the Mighty Mouse's scroll ball
Authored by: strikeman on Aug 01, '08 08:50:15PM

My mighty mouse scroll bar was only working scrolling down but not up. After pressing down hard and rolling it a few times, it now works perfectly again! Great tip!

How to clean the Mighty Mouse's scroll ball
Authored by: TC10 on Jul 05, '09 09:57:43AM

My mouse would only work in one direction. Luckily, I have a wireless mouse as well, so was not completely stuck. After reading thru a few of the emails, I tried compressed air in a can.

I just used a can of compresses air (couple of buck at most computer stores) and blew the compressed air in around the roller ball. It fixed it almost immediately.

How to clean the Mighty Mouse's scroll ball
Authored by: SMolle on Apr 23, '11 12:12:56PM

This simple procedure worked! No need to blow on it or use liquid cleaners. I suggest trying this BEFORE anything else. Thanks for the tip!

How to clean the Mighty Mouse's scroll ball
Authored by: apsstx on May 26, '12 12:43:31PM

Agreed. Easy to fix the scroll button. Just press down hard and roll it around a bit.

How to clean the Mighty Mouse's scroll ball
Authored by: davidrc on Sep 01, '12 07:08:46AM

I FINALLY DISCOVERY A WAY TO GET BALL WORKING FINE AGAIN:

Things I used:
- isopropanol spray, those ones specifically intended to clean LCD computer screens.
- a clean piece of white paper
- a piece of soft cloth

Steps:
1) Give one short shot of spray over the ball. (Just one short shot! Don't get your mouse drowned! :-))
2) Turn mouse upside down and roll the ball for 5-10 seconds in circular movements. The pressure you need to put on this opertation is the same you use when you "click" the ball.
3) Dry the ball (and surrounding ball area) with the soft cloth

That's it. My scroll came back to work again like a charm.

I have been using this mouse for years with this problem. If I knew the solutions was so easy I would not gone so angry a lot of times!

Report if it worked for you too!