Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Create special single-click-to-launch Dock folders' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Create special single-click-to-launch Dock folders
Authored by: jchapman on Feb 02, '06 07:34:09AM
Have you looked at DragThing? In my experience it's the best launcher out there, and it can duplicate (and expand upon) the pop-up folders and the "Launcher" from Mac OS 9.

Create special single-click-to-launch Dock folders
Authored by: chrisw357 on Feb 02, '06 11:27:01AM

Hear, hear! DragThing is one app I can't live without. I have the OSX dock off to the side and hidden. I hardly ever use it, except to minimize windows! I have f-keys set to toggle DragThing docks to appear and use them as single-click launchers. DT's preferences are awesome with this!

---
No matter where you go... there you are!

Create special single-click-to-launch Dock folders
Authored by: eirich on Feb 02, '06 09:57:12PM

I have a current license for DragThing, but honestly haven't used it in a very long time. This is not indicative of James' work. I think DragThing is an excellent program. My computer habits have changed considerably and I have become more basic in some ways. I now cannot live without a small app called Namely. With a key combination you can begin typing the name of the application you want. Three letters is usually enough to get the application you want as auto-complete kicks in, then hitting the Return key has your application open. The newest version even "learns" from what you've typed to launch your application even faster.

Create special single-click-to-launch Dock folders
Authored by: hoofer on Feb 03, '06 03:17:37AM

Is this not exactly how Spotlight works? I hit Command-Space to bring up Spotlight, type a few letters of the App I want to launch, and Spotlight serves it up as the Top Hit (based on my usage habits). I hit Command-Return (or Down Arrow and Return) and voila!

Create special single-click-to-launch Dock folders
Authored by: eirich on Feb 12, '06 07:55:26AM

Yes this is pretty much exactly what Spotlight does, except that it only works with applications and any Automations one may have made. Also, like Spotlight, one can tell it what directories NOT to look in. I find Namely faster because there are fewer steps involved and it only has to look for certain types of files.

Create special single-click-to-launch Dock folders
Authored by: hamarkus on Feb 03, '06 02:16:32AM

I find DropDrawers much more elegant and useful than Dragthing. On has to fill it manually but mostly this has to be done only once. In fact it was for me the direct replacement for the Launcher in OS 9 when I switched to OS X.