Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.4: Set 'Location' automatically via a script' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.4: Set 'Location' automatically via a script
Authored by: slimflem on Jan 27, '06 08:11:46PM

I'm all about automation and making things easier, and I don't mean to rain on everyone's parade here, but come on. Going thru all this just to change your network location without having to make 2 clicks, once on the Apple menu, second on Location, amazes me. How hard is it to select your Location with 2 clicks? Use Quicksilver and setup keyboard Triggers and do it in a single key combination, that's what I do. I'm not going to put so much effort into a script that almost seems pointless beyond just doing it.

10.4: Set 'Location' automatically via a script
Authored by: Yelsmek on Jan 27, '06 09:23:45PM

I think it took more effort to question other's laziness than it'd take to actually do this.

There are many other uses for this script, one of which hasn't been discussed here... automatic detection of network changes can be used to trigger, say, an email send to you after a stolen computer is connected to an unknown network.

I don't think you'll have much luck getting the thief to kindly hit the "control-alt-command-F20" key after he's stolen your computer.

It's never a good idea to insult others.

10.4: Set 'Location' automatically via a script
Authored by: slimflem on Jan 28, '06 11:57:54AM

It was far from an insult. Your automatic email sending could be cool. Put into a different context, then this script could be useful, but simply doing this to change your location when you are using your computer just seemed silly to me. Nothing beyond that simple opinion was intended.

10.4: Set 'Location' automatically via a script
Authored by: Cerberus on Jan 28, '06 02:21:01PM

I think that this script would be incredible for those that have MANY choices or want to make more changes than Apple allows/facilitates with just the LOCATION tag, like printer changes, and these choices can be selected repeatedly (and I like this solution due to the cost involved. Free is a very powerful choice)

Possible example: Home on the wireless, then put the book to sleep and travel to work. Wake the book and it knows that you are at work (via a DHCP IP lease on your NIC) so it sets WORK and sets your work printer to default. Now you have to go to the remote office and so you sleep the book again and when you plugin and wake it up it knows, due to a DIFFERENT IP on the NIC that you are at REMOTE and makes ALL the necessary changes.

This could even set different Remote Configs or firewall changes etc ad infinitum.

10.4: Set 'Location' automatically via a script
Authored by: Yelsmek on Jan 29, '06 09:31:40PM

OK, slimflem. I'll accept your statement. I'd like to suggest that you may not realize how the way you chose to express yourself comes across to others. I'll take a brief opportunity to help explain.

Looking ONLY at the high impact words you chose may help you understand why others might find them insulting and condescending... because these words have nothing to do with the subject, but rather the author's character, constituting a personal attack:

"I'm all about automation and making things easier, and I don't mean to rain on everyone's parade here, but come on. Going thru all this just to ... amazes me. How hard is it to ... I'm not going to put so much effort ... that almost seems pointless beyond just doing it..... doing this... just seemed silly to me."

Each of these touch upon your perception of the personal qualities of the author, come across as condescending and imply laziness on the part of the author and anyone who may feel the same way -- and have nothing whatsoever to do with the topic.

No insult is intended, just a learning opportunity. There is no need to take up any more space about it in in this thread. I hope you'll take a step back and consider these things with an objective eye.

Just trying to spread peace and love across the iNet.... :)

10.4: Set 'Location' automatically via a script
Authored by: BobHarris on Jan 28, '06 06:45:30PM

I did manually change it, twice a day for several years, and you know what? It got OLD. I would forget, so my network setup had my work fixed IP address, and a proxy setup to use the company proxy server. I would go home and didn't get new mail notices, iChat would not go on-line, I would try to surf, but the proxy server I use for work isn't available at home, etc... And the reverse when I got to work, as my home setup doesn't have a proxy server, and I have the wrong IP address for work, etc... Like I said, it got old.

I've been using a Sleepwatcher based trigger, that executes a network location detection and change script for about 6 months, and it has been a joy.

Besides, I thought people that liked to read MacOSXHints, also liked to find interesting and different ways to make their Macs work for them.

Bob Harris