Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Page Up/Page Down keys?' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Page Up/Page Down keys?
Authored by: CptNerd on Jan 17, '06 09:59:24AM

One thing I noticed when I went to Firefox 1.5, the Page Up/Page Down keys no longer work. They worked fine in 1.1 but something happened to disable them in 1.5. Has anyone else experienced this, or is it a local preferences file issue? I didn't see anything in the about:config page, and I'm reluctant to throw away all my preferences. I never saw anything about this problem on the Firefox discussion boards.

Page Up/Page Down keys?
Authored by: Elliot Shank on Jan 17, '06 12:21:43PM

In what circumstances don't they work?

I don't have any problems with them with the following exceptions:

1) If the focus is in a form widget, then movement keys only work within that widget. I usually run into this when there's a dropdown on a page and I just want to check out what the options are and not actually use that dropdown (common in sites like Ars Technica that use them for page navigation). After displaying the list, the focus is on that widget and not the page, so things like Page Up and Page Down are attempting to manipulate the widget and not the page as a whole.

2) If there is a plugin on a page and you've somehow interacted with that plugin. For me, this mostly happens when the subject of the page is a Flash application. The plugin gains control of the keyboard. So, when I'm done with the Flash thing, I attempt command-W and the window doesn't close.

3) Another focus related thing: what's called the "chrome". The chrome is everything you see in the browser that isn't part of the page itself, i.e. the toolbars, status bar, the location/address/URL field, the title bar, etc. If any of these have focus, then things like Page Up and Down and the arrow keys won't affect the page itself.

A related thing is that Apple's two-finger scrolling won't work on the forground window, unless the cursor is above the page itself. Since I often move the cursor off to the side and the cursor disappears when you start using the keyboard to type in fields like this, I can't see where the cursor is and get frustrated when the scrolling won't work like I expect it to.

3) Frames. There are more pages that contain frames than you expect. Some sites are getting really clever at hiding the fact that they're using them. And if focus isn't on the one that you're interested in, standard keyboard navigation isn't going to help you get anywhere.

I'd be interested in hearing of any other circumstances that you run into with this sort of problem.

Page Up/Page Down keys?
Authored by: CptNerd on Jan 17, '06 10:16:21PM

I open the same page with Firefox 1.1 and then with 1.5. When I run 1.1 I can click once inside any element with a scrollbar, and can use either space or Page down to scroll one page. When I open the same page in 1.5, even if I select text or an image in the element, I can't page up or down, either with the space key or with Page Up or Page Down.

I don't have a problem with Camino or Safari, only Firefox, which makes me think it's some kind of Firefox-specific configuration.

Page Up/Page Down keys?
Authored by: simbalala on Jan 17, '06 01:32:43PM

Page Up and Page Down work just fine for me. it's Function (fn) and the appropriate arrow key.

Also: Spacebar = Page Down and Shift Spacebar = Page Up. IE always worked like this.

Page Up/Page Down keys?
Authored by: CptNerd on Jan 17, '06 10:23:31PM

It doesn't work for me, which is the problem. I have the same behavior on my iMac and my Powerbook, but only with Firefox 1.5. Safari and Camino both behave as expected, but there's some configuration problem with Firefox on my computers, either a preferences file or some other kind of config file. No matter what I do, no matter where I select or click, page up and page down from the keyboard don't work.

I tried looking for a Firefox preferences file in my ~/Library/Preferences directory, but found nothing. I don't want to have to blow away all my settings and re-install, but it looks like I might have to.

Page Up/Page Down keys?
Authored by: beej69 on Jan 30, '06 01:18:38PM

there is a bug tracking this:

Page Up/Page Down keys?
Authored by: mudbug on Feb 14, '06 07:20:41AM

Something interesting:

I have the same problem, the "page up" and "page down" keys do not work in FireFox 1.5.0.1. Clean install of 10.4.4 so no other factors at work here.

Thru reading this thread and playing, I found that if I hold down the space bar, then the "page up" and "page down" keys work! I don't prefer this method but it's better than that awkward shift/spacebar combo.

I would love for the keys to work as they're supposed to.

Page Up/Page Down keys?
Authored by: linhusa on Mar 19, '06 01:55:57AM

I found a possible fix for "page up/page down" keys not working.
You will need to turn off caret browsing in firefox by either:
1. toggle it with F7
2. goto Firefox > Preferences > Advanced > General Tab > "uncheck" the "allow text to be selected with the keyboard" option