Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Disable iTunes 6.0.2's reporting of listening habits' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Disable iTunes 6.0.2's reporting of listening habits
Authored by: flmiller on Jan 11, '06 02:26:43PM

Come on people. Whether or not you mind Apple knowing/analyzing/remembering music that you play on 'YOUR OWN COMPUTER', it IS an invasion of privacy and should be disclosed up front, along with the mechanism to disable reporting. Rob, I agree with you 100 per cent. If I am browsing a web site, I expect that they will collect data on my browsing. If I use Gmail (I don't), I am on their site and I expect that they collect data my usage. However, I DON'T expect anyone to collect data from my use of MY software on MY machine without explicitly telling me they intend to do so. My $0.02.

Disable iTunes 6.0.2's reporting of listening habits
Authored by: FenrisUlf on Jan 11, '06 02:57:46PM
From the iTunes website:

Discover New Music New in iTunes 6. Looking for some new tunes? Tap into the 2-million-song treasure chest of the iTunes Music Store through the new MiniStore. While you're browsing your own library or importing a new CD, MiniStore appears at the bottom of the iTunes window and shows you other albums from your favorite artists and artists like them. You can even see reviews of these albums plus what other listeners who like this artist purchased — so you'll never be at a loss for new music to discover. When you're ready to go back to full-screen mode, click an icon and MiniStore tucks away, ready to pop up again later when you want to explore some more.

Guess they did tell you. And it's not exactly hidden like Sony or MS's mining have been.

---
Who are you that walk across the graves of giants at this late hour?

Disable iTunes 6.0.2's reporting of listening habits
Authored by: kirkmc on Jan 12, '06 12:44:29AM

Did you, as a Mac user, see that in Software Update before downloading the latest version of iTunes? Or do you download iTunes update from the web site every time?

I upgraded through Software Update, and there was no information as to what new features were in iTunes.

---
Read my blog: Kirkville -- http://www.mcelhearn.com
Musings, Opinion and Miscellanea, on Macs, iPods and more

Apple's botched MiniStore intro
Authored by: sjk on Jan 12, '06 06:52:57PM
Yep, Software Update gave no indication of the MiniStore being added and enabled.

Of course I quickly disabled it but was disturbed knowing how trivial it would have been for Apple to add a simple dialog of explanation with a "Don't show this message again" checkbox, just like they do with several other iTunes features that are activated for the first time, to stop (or at least minimize) all this negative fallout over it from happening.

Plain and simple, that's my opinion of how Apple botched introducing the MiniStore to iTunes users.

Disable iTunes 6.0.2's reporting of listening habits
Authored by: webzone on Jan 11, '06 02:58:16PM

There are some terms of use displayed before you install iTunes. Unless you forgot to read them

Disable iTunes 6.0.2's reporting of listening habits
Authored by: Mikey-San on Jan 11, '06 03:34:41PM

Wait a second.

You mean that in order to recommend other music to me, they have to know what I listen to?

This is a travesty. An absolute travesty. Heads on pikes, man.

Seriously, dude, calm down. Your rights haven't been violated here (you DID agree to the EULA, after all), and you can turn it off with a single button. Don't like the MiniStore? Don't use it.

Disable iTunes 6.0.2's reporting of listening habits
Authored by: onan on Jan 14, '06 11:09:52PM
... you can turn it off with a single button.
A single unlabelled button that was carefully hidden amongst a field of other predecessor buttons. Forgive me if that seems like a pretty underhanded excuse for an after the fact opt-out.

Sending any of my personal information outside my computer is a drastic step, one that requires very explicit notice and consent before it takes place. Not just a mildly concealed way to stop it once it's already happened.