Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'iWeb, with reservations' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
iWeb, with reservations
Authored by: arloguthrie on Jan 10, '06 01:30:20PM

Only if iWeb supports FTP or WebDAV publishing and customizeable templates. If it requires .Mac, then I really have no use for it. Anyone know?

iWeb, with reservations
Authored by: robg on Jan 10, '06 04:58:28PM

It requires .Mac. Now, whether it's hackable or not, who knows -- I don't know if the .Mac servers are providing any services, for instance, when you publish your pages.

-rob.

iWeb, with reservations
Authored by: jmichaelson on Jan 10, '06 08:52:40PM

It says right on the iWeb info page that .Mac is not required, but suggested. Straight from the site:

*iWeb publishing requires Internet and webserver access (.Mac recommended)

I think Apple is downplaying this fact to get more .Mac subscribers.

iWeb, with reservations
Authored by: robg on Jan 11, '06 05:49:30AM

Thx; I hadn't seen that page when I tested ... and strangely, when I asked an Apple rep in the booth, I got the ".Mac required" answer!

Thanks for clarifying;
-rob.

iWeb, with reservations
Authored by: forman on Jan 11, '06 01:47:24PM

After some hands-on experimentation with iWeb at the Expo, I found that it either publishes to .Mac or exports HTML (and related files) to a directory. From there one could publish the contents but as of yet it does not support FTP or WebDAV.

I was impressed with the quality of the HTML output. It creates a nice hierarchy of folders with all the content contained in a single parent directory. Unfortunately, the HTML was not indented or saved with whitespace (but mercifully there were line breaks).

Michael.

iWeb, with reservations
Authored by: jmacak on Jan 11, '06 02:00:44PM
I was impressed with the quality of the HTML output.
I'd love to see if the HTML output is compliant with current web standards. Is a DOCTYPE declared? If so, is the code valid? E.g., does it pass a validation test as offered at the w3.org site? (http://validator.w3.org/)

Jim.

iWeb, with reservations
Authored by: arloguthrie on Jan 13, '06 08:46:33AM
The code seems to be Transitional XHTML, but it's far from semantic. Read Todd Dominey's analysis.