Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Keyboard Shortcuts?' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Keyboard Shortcuts?
Authored by: guardian34 on Jan 03, '06 07:40:59AM

Why not use "Keyboard Shortcuts" under the Keyboard & Mouse preference pane [of System Preferences]?

Keyboard Shortcuts?
Authored by: TvE on Jan 03, '06 07:48:17AM

That is excatly what I have done - CTRL-Z = Zoom.
Only downside is that it only works for applications that has a "Zoom" menuitem - but most do.

Calculator does not, since clicking the green button changes "mode" - but luckily Apple has pre-made shortcuts for these actions (CMD-1, CMD-2 & CMD-3)

Keyboard Shortcuts?
Authored by: PCheese on Jan 03, '06 07:56:30AM

You may want to try command-control-Z; that's the Zoom shortcut for iTunes.

Keyboard Shortcuts?
Authored by: TvE on Jan 05, '06 12:49:34PM

Nope - not as delivered from Apple

In the terminal
Authored by: hombre on Jan 03, '06 06:30:19PM
Most apps have either "Zoom" or "Zoom Window" so I use the following:
defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSUserKeyEquivalents '{"Zoom" = "@^Z"; "Zoom Window" = "@^Z"; }'
That sets the keyboard shortcut to Cmd-Ctrl-Z for almost all apps.

terminal vs. GUI
Authored by: hypert on Jan 04, '06 08:12:50PM

Nice hint all around!

I tried this terminal command, and it works perfectly. I especially like seeing the keyboard shortcut in the real menu.

One question: why doesn't this change show up in the Keyboard & Mouse preference pane? I can set other shortcuts there (like Cmd-B to "Show All Bookmarks" in Safari). Since I'll never remember this nifty "defaults" command, how can I set (or view this setting) this through a GUI?

I was hoping Keyboards would be the place, but maybe it won't show shortcuts that weren't created from inside Keyboard & Mouse?

What am I doing wrong?
Authored by: hamarkus on Jan 03, '06 09:36:36AM

I added cmd^Z with the menu name 'Zoom' to the keyboard shortcuts (for all apps). But when I try it, I only get an error beep, and I have tried it in several apps which have the 'Zoom' menu entry.

Do I have to enter something like 'Window-Zoom' or what am I missing?

What am I doing wrong?
Authored by: pub3abn on Jan 03, '06 02:02:41PM

I am having the same difficulty.

What am I doing wrong?
Authored by: kostia on Jan 03, '06 04:47:36PM

Keyboard shortcuts set in System Preferences will only work with applications launched after the setting is applied, not in applications that were already running. You will see the command-control-Z shortcut notation in the Window menu next to Zoom for applications launched after you set this shortcut up.