Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.4: Use Preview to view formatted man pages' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.4: Use Preview to view formatted man pages
Authored by: mshmgi on Dec 30, '05 08:04:49AM

You could also just create a shell script and put it somewhere in your PATH.

Name it "pman", and "chmod 755" it...

#!/bin/bash
mpg=$1;
if [ ! $mpg ];then
	echo "Enter man page to read: ";
	read mpg;
fi
if [ ! $mpg ];then
	exit;
fi
man -t $mpg | open -f -a /Applications/Preview.app;
exit;

10.4: Use Preview to view formatted man pages
Authored by: wgscott on Dec 30, '05 08:31:25AM
Just yesterday I came across a safari plugin that permits you to view man pages in safari: This hint was still very helpful to me because it is the first time I saw how to pipe into Preview (I was missing the critical -f).

10.4: Use Preview to view formatted man pages
Authored by: simbalala on Dec 30, '05 10:56:14AM

I agree, Bwana is great, so is Man.

The PDF tip is good but unless you want to print the pages the web browser display is much more convenient. And if you start printing Man pages you'll need a thick, thick binder to keep all them in.

Should have said ManOpen
Authored by: simbalala on Dec 30, '05 11:08:41AM

err...

I should have said ManOpen as other posters have mentioned. It's the easiest thing in the world. Just type man:ls (for example) into your browser's address bar and you're done. It's just too easy to remember and use.

10.4: Use Preview to view formatted man pages
Authored by: MrWizzle on Dec 30, '05 09:30:05AM

Please excuse my ignorance, but what's the PATH? I'm new to all this Unix stuff. Only had my Mac for a couple of months... damn Windows rotted my mind.

10.4: Use Preview to view formatted man pages
Authored by: xSmurf on Dec 30, '05 10:21:40AM
The PATH is the location where all the, terminal, programs are store. If you can type 'gre' and hitting tab autocompletes to 'grep' it's because 'grep' is in your path. The PATH is set in your ~/.bash_profile (if running bash) and will look something like export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin:~/bin. You can see in my example that I add /usr/local/bin and ~/bin to the existing $PATH variable (which probably already holds paths like /bin and /sbin). Hope this helps.

---
SnitchCTL : http://snitchctl.smurfturf.net/

PM G4 DP 800 / 1.25gb / 120Gb+80Gb / CD/DVD±RW/RAM/DL
- The only APP Smurf

What is the PATH?
Authored by: hayne on Dec 30, '05 10:37:33AM
See this Unix FAQ

What is the PATH?
Authored by: MrWizzle on Dec 30, '05 10:57:15AM

xSmurf: Excellent example, makes it nice 'n' clear.
Hayne: That will be extremely useful in the future!

Thank you both! One of the reasons why I love the Mac is the sense of community around it.