Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'DHCP Lease Renewal' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
DHCP Lease Renewal
Authored by: octavio on Apr 02, '02 09:03:58PM

Did you find the BSD networking command to force DHCP to drop/renew an IP lease??
I just got a cable modem and still can not make the DHCP client on the OS X 10.1.3 box to successfully connect to the DHCP server at the ISP network.
It keeps on timing out and getting an invalid 169.x.x.x IP address instead.

However, if I manually configure a valid IP address (that I get when I connect my Win2000 PC to the cable modem instead), I can navigate for a while, until the valid IP address expires.

This is very weird, my Win2000 PC does not have any problem to get a valid IP address, but my OS X box simply can not connect to the DHCP server. Does anyone have any recommendation of the files/config params. that I should look at?

Thanks a lot.
- Octavio

DHCP Lease Renewal
Authored by: JustyTylor on Apr 04, '02 03:43:25PM

Hmm. Sounds, for one thing, like the first poster wasn't noting a problem so much as how smoothly DHCP works for him. DHCP is *supposed* to give you a new address if you cut your cable modem connection, especially since there are so many people on that same system starting up/restarting/etc. their own computers. There would be quite a bit of IP shuffling.

Okay, so on to the other problems. At this point, the only thing I can really say is that I have never had a problem switching my PowerBook G4 667 from my work connection to a school connection in my office, or to my home connection, where I connect to via an AirPort basestation running DHCP to allow my Blue and White G3 to connect via ethernet (I share a DSL connection between the two of them). One thing I have occasionally done to make the transition easier between my different locations is to log out, put my computer to sleep, and log back in when I get to my destination. At the worst, I'll have to input my closed AirPort network's name and password to use my home LAN. So, the long-out/sleep/log-in steps might solve this problem without being as troublesome as shutting down and restarting.

My two cents,

Justin

DHCP Lease Renewal
Authored by: tomdarch on May 10, '02 01:22:35AM
I'm getting similar problems with 169.x.x.x

I've got a DSL line running through an ethernet switch.

When I first hooked up my new powerbook it got a good address, but after disconnecting it then reconnecting it later, it hasn't yet been able to get a good address. When I only had os9 on my B&W G3 it had the same problem - I tried trashing the TCP/IP prefs, to no avail! Now that I've upgraded the B&W, it got a bad address the first time I tried connecting. I switched to PPP in the Network panel, hit "Apply Now", switched back to DHCP, hit "Apply Now", and it momentarily showed 0.0.X.X, then got a good address. Interestingly, when I get a bad (169.x.x.x) address, the subnet mask is set to 255.255.0.0 and I don't get a router address.

Could this be a problem with the DHCP server? Is there a file to edit or trash in OS X that has DHCP settings or info? Does Apple's use of DHCP with AirPort have anything to do with this?

DHCP Lease Renewal
Authored by: Myrddin on Jun 04, '03 11:26:45PM

I personally would like to know what the answer is... I don't shut my system down and would perfer to put it to sleep but getting a 169.x.x.x address instead of the proper router DNS address is a pain.

DHCP Lease Renewal
Authored by: germsteel on Jul 05, '03 03:49:27AM

Check to see if you have set your router with enough IP addresses to hand out. Something that says starting IP address range to ending IP address.

My router hands me a new internal IP address and doesn't purge the old one for a little while.

Good luck.

DHCP Lease Renewal
Authored by: anti-os on Nov 04, '04 05:58:46PM

Sounds like another case of an open transport issue. Funny thing if this was a "standard" wireless device (res. gateway) it wouldn't try pushing a 169.x.x.x ip first and wouldn't cause things to screw up. Just like OS10.x open transport problems.

Hmm... do I see a pattern forming here!

R.