Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Create a list of startup items' paths' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Create a list of startup items' paths
Authored by: noel_gomez on Nov 28, '05 08:01:08AM

Anyone know how to find other items that are starting up,but are not listed in the login items?

I have some app that keeps putting an icon on the dock on startup, but I dont know how it is starting.

Create a list of startup items' paths
Authored by: mark hunte on Nov 28, '05 08:33:14AM

Whats the app, usually the option for this is the the prefs of the app.

---
mh

Create a list of startup items' paths
Authored by: noel_gomez on Nov 28, '05 09:10:57AM

It's HP Director (Scanner) software. There is an app in the application's folder called "Director Docker" which is the one which adds the icon to the dock. However, I dont know how it is starting and I havent seen an option in the preferences to disable it.

Create a list of startup items' paths
Authored by: tc_nyc on Nov 28, '05 09:31:24AM
HP's isntallers are beyond evil. They litter your drive with junk like the startup items you're referring to.

The item you're searching for is located in the file /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist

Unfortunately, if you are running 10.4.x this file is now binary-encoded to make it even more difficult to remove the offending line item. You may want to try Pref Setter to edit the com.apple.loginwindow file. The key you're looking for is 'AutoLaunchedApplicationDictionary'. I don't have the HP stuff installed on my machine so I can't say for sure if Pref Setter will get the job done.

My explaination is a bit terse this morning, but I think you'll be able to find the HP junk and remove it using that app. I usually fix it in the terminal using pico.

Create a list of startup items' paths
Authored by: noel_gomez on Nov 28, '05 09:48:43AM

I got pref Setter and I just see these values

"com.apple.loginwindow.plist" :

defaults string:

defaults write com.apple.loginwindow "dv com.apple.soundmgr._DV Sound Output Settings" -data 7d000000

Pref Setter string:

prefSetter**dv com.apple.soundmgr._DV Sound Output Settings**data**<7d000000 >
"com.apple.loginwindow.plist" :

defaults string:

defaults write com.apple.loginwindow "NSWindow Frame About This Mac" -string "469 365 307 379 0 0 1280 832 "

Pref Setter string:

prefSetter**NSWindow Frame About This Mac**string**469 365 307 379 0 0 1280 832
"com.apple.loginwindow.plist" :

defaults string:

defaults write com.apple.loginwindow "NSWindow Frame ProcessPanel" -string "316 263 346 284 0 0 1024 746 "

Pref Setter string:

prefSetter**NSWindow Frame ProcessPanel**string**316 263 346 284 0 0 1024 746
"com.apple.loginwindow.plist" :

defaults string:

defaults write com.apple.loginwindow "NSWindow Frame shutdown" -string "268 420 455 154 0 0 1024 746 "

Pref Setter string:

prefSetter**NSWindow Frame shutdown**string**268 420 455 154 0 0 1024 746

using Prefs Setter
Authored by: tc_nyc on Nov 28, '05 10:10:22AM

In Pref Setter, for whatever reason, the /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist file is listed as "loginwindow" in the Open Domain Quickly menu.

maybe NOT prefs setter
Authored by: tc_nyc on Nov 28, '05 10:25:36AM
OK, since I don't have a faulty file to work on I can't seem to confirm whether Prefs Setter is even looking at the correct file (I suspect the correct file is the one listed under System Preferences). You may need to edit the file by hand in the terminal.

First, you will need to convert the binary com.apple.loginwindow.plist back into an ASCII file. See this hint on how to use the plutil command to achieve this. You don't necessarily need to convert the file back to binary.
Then, use your favorite command line editor to open the file and remove the lines that contain the HP applications. You will want to remove everything between and for each instance of the HP application. I have done this on several occasions, so I know it works.

Also, you may be able to manually open the preference file in Prefs Setter to edit the plist, but you may also need to run Prefs Setter as root to save the changes.

maybe NOT prefs setter
Authored by: adrianm on Nov 29, '05 07:35:41AM

Why does everyone complain about the .plist file being binary?

Just open it in PropertyList editor and remove the offending entries from there.

maybe NOT prefs setter
Authored by: tc_nyc on Nov 29, '05 08:33:03AM

Because some people don't have the developer tools installed, and installing developer tools to get at that one app is a bit of overkill.

maybe NOT prefs setter
Authored by: adrianm on Nov 30, '05 12:34:38AM

Ah, OK. Didn't realise that was a dev tool.
It's always been on my Macs, but then I've always had the dev tools installed :)

maybe NOT prefs setter
Authored by: Darkshadow on Dec 04, '05 07:49:18PM

Hi, I'm the developer of Pref Setter, I can clear up this issue.

There are actually three preference files with loginwindow in them. /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist (which is listed under the "System Preferences" part of the Open Domain Quickly window), HOME/Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist, and HOME/Library/Preferences/loginwindow.plist.

It's that last file (just listed as loginwindow in the Open Domain Quickly window) that holds the Login Items.

Hope that helps clear this up

Create a list of startup items' paths
Authored by: murali1080 on Nov 28, '05 05:05:18PM

The file you should be looking for in Tiger with HP software installed is loginwindow.plist in /Library/Preferences folder.

Create a list of startup items' paths
Authored by: azraq27 on Nov 28, '05 02:22:44PM

Yeah, I hate HP.

My temporary solution was to delete a program that was named something like "Dock Starter" (something pretty obvious). It's hidden inside some package somewhere in the Director directory. Deleting it didn't seem to affect anything besides HP adding itself to the dock.

I can't give you the details now, because I have implemented my permanent solution: Buy a Brother scanner. I got a Brother MFC-5440CN at OfficeDepot on clearance and I love it! Works much smoother than my old HP, and the software is totally behind-the-scenes. I scan something in, and it pops up in Preview.