Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.4: Avoid rsync errors during backup due to Spotlight' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.4: Avoid rsync errors during backup due to Spotlight
Authored by: murat on Nov 10, '05 05:47:22PM

So I tried using rsync as illustrated in this hint to try to mirror a partition of my PowerBook to an external FireWire drive.

What I noticed is that rsync doesn't seem to preserve most modification dates on the mirror (!). This makes incremental updates impractical, since rsync will assume files with differing mod dates need to be updated.

A Google search turned this up, the upshot of which is that the Tiger version of rsync, while able to deal with resource forks (or more properly, "extended attributes"), does not properly preserve modification dates. In other words, rsync on Tiger has a bug that prevents its use in the way most people find useful.

Has anyone found a workaround?

10.4: Avoid rsync errors during backup due to Spotlight
Authored by: ptone on Nov 11, '05 06:24:14AM

Are you using 10.4.2 or 10.4.3 I've been hoping that this was fixed in .3 but haven't tested it yet.

-P

10.4: Avoid rsync errors during backup due to Spotlight
Authored by: mstoops on Nov 11, '05 06:45:10AM

I just tried this in 10.4.3:

$ rsync -av ~/bin /tmp

It seems to have preserved everything just fine.

10.4: Avoid rsync errors during backup due to Spotlight
Authored by: mstoops on Nov 11, '05 06:53:26AM

...and I just tried it across to a linux server. That too seems to have worked just fine, preserving date stamps (as well as a soft-link or two).

10.4: Avoid rsync errors during backup due to Spotlight
Authored by: murat on Nov 11, '05 02:04:51PM

Yes, if you omit the -E option, it works great. Include the -E option to see what I'm talking about.

I.e. try

rsync -avE ~/bin /tmp

10.4: Avoid rsync errors during backup due to Spotlight
Authored by: murat on Nov 11, '05 01:56:37PM

10.4.3

10.4: Avoid rsync errors during backup due to Spotlight
Authored by: BlackPenguin on Jan 16, '06 08:32:01AM
There are a number of known issues with the version of rsync shipped with OS 10.4.x. I'm hoping that they are resolved in future versions, but until then, I opted to build a patched version of rsync that fixes them. There are detailed instructions as well as patches here: Fixing rsync on Tiger.

In order to use these, you will need to have the Developer Tools installed and have little fear of the command line. The patches have worked well for me, and I currently employ rsync in my backup and synchronization strategy.

-- Nick