Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Celestia - Explore the universe' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Celestia - Explore the universe
Authored by: MilMascaras on Nov 08, '05 11:39:41AM

Freezes my OSX 10.4.3 machine 5 seconds after launch, everytime. Seems like it is starting to work, then my clock stops ticking, then mouse stays alive for about 15 seconds, then total freeze up. My machine is expertly maintained, and tight.

Celestia - Explore the universe
Authored by: RussellK on Nov 08, '05 12:40:56PM

I had the same problem on my G4 1.25 GHz running 10.3.9 (and my system is obsessively clean too). The readme file contains a troubleshooting section with the suggestion to remove the "#" before a certain line in the config file (I won't pretend to undestand the programming technicalities behind this)...I followed these instructions and the program now runs perfectly for me.

Celestia - Explore the universe
Authored by: lamon on Nov 08, '05 01:54:47PM

This comes from some ATI graphic cards not understanding a specific OpenGL extension. If you uncomment that line, you disable the use of that extension (for a small performance penalty) and it works.

Remember, the more powerful your video card, the better. It will work better on a NVidia card since the developers are on NVidia.

Celestia - Explore the universe
Authored by: dirkpitt on Nov 27, '05 07:46:33AM

While it's true that the lead developer is employed at NVIDIA, on the Mac the situation is a bit different and some NVIDIA-specific render paths don't work even on NV30+ cards. And while it's true that very recent cards are obviously much better for Celestia use, the crashing bug is due to a very specific bug in the driver for the ATI Radeon 9000/9200 cards and has nothing to do with your video card being too old; for example ATI Rage cards don't lock up. In fact, recent video cards still cannot perform OpenGL 2.0 rendering correctly on OS X while on Windows it's beautiful *sigh*

Celestia - Explore the universe
Authored by: tombert on Nov 10, '05 12:56:47PM

Thanks for the hint. I took out the # on the "ignoreGLE" line and it works ok for me as well.

---
Tombert

Celestia - Explore the universe
Authored by: tombert on Nov 10, '05 12:36:53PM

I also have encountered the big freeze, everytime. Freezes my entire Mac so I have to reboot - I can't roam the universe, but have to re-boot. Re-moved the app from my Mac.

I am running on a Dual G4 Tower, 1 GHz, OSX 10.3.9, with 1.75 Gb of RAM.

I don't think this app is quite ready for prime time......

---
Tombert

Celestia - Explore the universe
Authored by: dirkpitt on Nov 27, '05 07:35:11AM

Hi, I'm a developer for Celestia. The lockup, as mentioned by other posters, is caused by a bug in the drivers for a small subset of graphics cards and has a known workaround. Yes, it is Apple's and ATI's fault, not Celestia's. I've tried lobbying Apple but apparently they have either found the bug not worth fixing or don't know how.