Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'A few tips on picking a UPS for your Mac' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
A few tips on picking a UPS for your Mac
Authored by: imageworx on Oct 11, '05 08:22:59AM

I've ALWAYS suggested to my clients to go with APC UPS. If home user/SOHO, I recommend something 1.5-2x the required Volt Amp hour rating (CRTs drain faster than the LCD monitors). Also, recommending the USB hub is a given, but also any external storage device. And AVR is definitely recommended over non-AVR.
Never plug a laserprinter into a UPS-battery-supported outlet. Nor any lamp or amplifier.
For businesses, I've always suggested hot-swappable battery units.

Note: you should recycle UPS batteries to either Radioshack or automotive service center (they take the bigger sized UPS batteries). If you buy replacement batteries for APC, they come with a UPS (pun) return tag to ship the spent battery to their depot.

Unfortunately, we are still in a windows-biased world. APC UPS BH500NET for home network (model#?) actually has a network port for web-based monitoring and remote control of AC outlets. The software is not for OS X. Atleast the built-in UPS monitoring of OS x allows for shutdown via USB connection. Never leave a computer on, attached to a UPS without the ability t opower off the system if the AC goes out and the battery power kicks in (unattended). If the UPS battery dies, the power loss to the computer will likely be fatal (HD crash, ...)

Home users may want to consider a solution at the AC panel for surge in areas that have frequent power issues (storms, black/brown outs...). And the general rule of thumb for UPS batteries is 3-4 years before replacement. Also, check/replace your home smoke alarm batteries every Spring when its time to DST or in the Fall.

A UPS costs 10% of your computer investment. Think about it. Cheap insurance.

---
To BeOS or Not to BeOS

A few tips on picking a UPS for your Mac
Authored by: pub3abn on Oct 11, '05 09:28:26AM
While I'm a firm believer in UPS backups, I think this is an exaggeration. I have many firsthand experiences of computers losing power under such circumstances, and have not seen any "fatal" consequences yet. In my experience, there is about a 5-10% chance of data corruption (and a 100% chance that all unsaved data will be lost). But I've never seen any "fatal" hardware failures do to power failure of a protected system.

Here's a first hand experience
Authored by: lionel77 on Oct 11, '05 07:05:43PM

I once had a 200GB FireWire hard drive die on me because of a power outage. A simple head-crash -- there was nothing I could do to recover the data.
Back in the those days a 200GB FireWire drive was about $400. Luckily I could get it replaced because it was still under warranty.

Since then I've been really paranoid about power supply issues.

Here's a first hand experience
Authored by: justzisguy on Oct 11, '05 11:25:04PM

Pardon my ignorance, but what kind of UPS would kill hardware? Does it not simply turn off once the voltage is ready to dip? Data corruption sure, but I too haven't seen any hardware death as a result of a UPS. Brownouts OTOH, sure.

Here's a first hand experience
Authored by: lionel77 on Oct 13, '05 05:33:46PM

It's not the UPS killing the hardware, it's the sudden loss of power.
If your hard drive is writing or reading while the power supply is interrupted there is a good chance that you get a head crash and the hard drive becomes physically damaged.

Here's a first hand experience
Authored by: mauricev on Dec 13, '05 08:04:16AM

Actually, there is virtually no possibility this could occur. When the power is cut to a drive, it automatically parks the head.

Here's a first hand experience
Authored by: justzisguy on Oct 11, '05 11:25:43PM

A few tips on picking a UPS for your Mac
Authored by: imageworx on Oct 13, '05 08:51:01AM

You can think whatever you want. But this has happened (and yes, its extreme situation). But if you have no means of powering off a machine that is running off UPS battery, (whether builtin or software controlled) and the power is not restored before the battery discharges, you will damage the device(s).

That is why its been great that you can connect to a UPS and OS X has a builtin power manager. Maybe not as feature-rich as the APC Windows client, but still better than nothing.

Maybe you can test this "exaggeration" for us and leave your most important non-laptop CPU on battery for a few days (hours?) why its running some open programs. Then get back that nothing happened?

---