Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'What's wrong with Stuffit' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
What's wrong with Stuffit
Authored by: PanicRoom on Sep 30, '05 11:47:07AM
There are various problems which annoy different people. My biggest headache with Stuffit is that it's a proprietry format: files I've 'stuffed' can only be unstuffed with Stuffit. This isn't usually too much of a problem, though there are scenarios where it becomes a pain. A few months ago, I tried accessing a large, segmented file from a backup I created several years ago. For some strange reason, the current version of Expander refused to identify all the segments as belonging to the same file. I dug out the old version of Stuffit Lite which did the original compression but, oops, Classic not installed on the new iMac. Dug around some more in a couple of boxes and found my old PB540C running OS8, booted, ran Stuffit Lite, successfully decompressed my archive, (marvelled at how cool my old Powerbook still was!) then packed everything back into boxes.
If I didn't still have legacy hardware (and original software) lying about, then I would have been screwed. If [Aladdin] Alume ever goes out of business and stops releasing versions of Stuffit which are compatible with new OSs, then you might as well kiss two decades worth of backed-up data goodbye.

What's wrong with Stuffit
Authored by: Cerberus on Sep 30, '05 12:01:28PM

The above comments are very succinct and germain. My only addition would be that StuffIt is a PURCHASED tool, BOM is a tool integrated to the OS so it is 'free' once I have a legal copy of the OS. The slient points about proprietary formats are VERY worrysome...

What's wrong with Stuffit
Authored by: unresort on Oct 01, '05 01:24:13AM

i am gonna have to call bullsh*t on this comment. i mean, seriously, do you shun all proprietary formats for fear that you won't be able to open something 5-6 years down the line? that's just stupid. so, you don't save anything from Photoshop as a .psd? i guess .ai files are out too. what about .doc files? .toast?

dude, i think the real issue is WHAT are you going to want to open again say, 5 years from now?

the format is legit and it works, don't trash it just because you can. it makes you seem petty.

What's wrong with Stuffit
Authored by: silverdr on Oct 01, '05 02:49:19AM

C'mon. Think thoroughly about this what you just wrote again... and no, I am not the only one who disagree with you.

What's wrong with Stuffit
Authored by: flakaddict on Oct 04, '05 11:17:24PM

I, for one, would like those formats to be open too. If .doc were open, I could seamlessly use it in OpenOffice. .ai and .psd files as well, would be great if those were open so caomptibility with the Gimp could be ensured.

Stuffit's got two options, just like anyone else competing with open source products: improve your products, or corner the market in such a way you're trapping people.

Microsoft seems to have chosen the latter...heh.

What's wrong with Stuffit
Authored by: doneitner on Sep 30, '05 05:18:21PM

It's always nice to know one's options and how to get helpful updates like this. Thanks for the tip.

As to Stuffit's usefulness... as a format Stuffit is proprietary. Zip was too for many years (PKZip and all that). But as a program, Stuffit seems to do the job very nicely; it supports more formats than just its own so there's no need to use the proprietary Stuffit format even if using the Stuffit program. It's like using WinRAR on Windows -- it still supports Zip so no need to use the also proprietary RAR format.

What's wrong with Stuffit
Authored by: hamarkus on Oct 04, '05 05:39:41AM

I do not understand why the fact that one option of Stuffit is to compress files into a proprietory format would speak against using it to decompress zip files.
It is a very well functioning, stable and free product.

Ok, having it will litter your applications folder with one more item and you have to update it seperately from the OS (but which you have to do for self-build zip programs as well).