Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Install a modified Tiger-compatible version of GeekTool' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Install a modified Tiger-compatible version of GeekTool
Authored by: ybizeul on Sep 30, '05 08:53:33AM

Yes, I know, I should have released a new version already !
But other products take most of the time I have to code on my personnal projects, and I must admit I'm more motivated to work on commercial ones !
Anyway, I would be happy to merge your work with the current development version and release an official version !

Install a modified Tiger-compatible version of GeekTool
Authored by: wallybear on Sep 30, '05 10:25:22AM

I think there is no problem in this, only I have some features I wish to add in the program, so I think it's better to send you a diff file.

Install a modified Tiger-compatible version of GeekTool
Authored by: Whosawhatsis on Sep 30, '05 03:50:20PM

Like an option for real-time terminal output? Pretty please?

---
I was offered a penny for my thoughts, so I gave my two cents... I got ripped off.

Install a modified Tiger-compatible version of GeekTool
Authored by: ybizeul on Oct 03, '05 07:48:48AM

Ok, send me this, I'll see what I can do

Install a modified Tiger-compatible version of GeekTool
Authored by: BulbVivid on Sep 30, '05 12:14:20PM

Would love to see it play nicely with Exposť. GeekTool's one of my favorites though, and I greatly appreciate the work.

Install a modified Tiger-compatible version of GeekTool
Authored by: wallybear on Oct 03, '05 06:31:33AM

I have no problems with Expose'. Can you be more specific? I'll se what I can do.

Install a modified Tiger-compatible version of GeekTool
Authored by: BulbVivid on Oct 03, '05 08:00:58AM
well, I typically have GeekTool showing a window over my menubar to show iTunes info using this shell script:
#!/bin/sh
set h = "       2"
if($(test $(ps -x | grep /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes | wc -l) -eq "       2"))
then
if($(osascript -e 'tell application "itunes"' -e 'return player state is playing' -e 'end tell'))
then
        echo "$(osascript -e 'tell application "itunes"' -e 'return artist of current track & " - "' -e 'end tell')$(osascript -e 'tell application "itunes"' -e 'return name of current track' -e 'end tell')"
else
        echo "Not Playing"
fi
fi
The script refreshes every ten seconds, and it always messes with exposť when showing the desktop. Other exposť functions work correctly, but when showing the desktop, the windows pull back in when the script refreshes. It's possibly something in the script, which I just cobbled together from various sources (I just know it works, not how it works.) Any help would be appreciated.

Install a modified Tiger-compatible version of GeekTool
Authored by: unforeseen:X11 on Oct 04, '05 08:30:40AM

Yes, guys, thank you both for working together. I almost gave up hope for this fantastic app... =)

And thanks to the guy pointing out the chmod-"inconsistencies".