Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Make iTunes treat an MP3 podcast as a regular MP3' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Make iTunes treat an MP3 podcast as a regular MP3
Authored by: hypert on Sep 21, '05 11:29:13PM

Native podcast support came in 4.9, right? I think something has changed in iTunes 5. I've been subscribing to the podcast "Free Radio Sub Pop" (from Sub Pop Records), but recently (I think since upgrading to iTunes 5), I can't copy/move songs from my Podcasts folder into another music folder and get the Podcasts playlist to "forget" about them.

I tried Doug's AppleScript for setting the Long Description as well as running id3v2 (installed thru Fink - thanks for the tip!). I can't find "podcast" anywhere in those files, yet iTunes remembers that it was a podcast! Duplicating the file, changing the filename, changing the tags - nothing seems to break this association.

Any one have any ideas?

Make iTunes treat an MP3 podcast as a regular MP3
Authored by: hypert on Sep 21, '05 11:49:04PM
A couple more things. While Doug's AppleScript can get the (Long) Description, it doesn't appear to be able to set it (well, on my iTunes on the latest Sub Pop song, from the Constantines).

I used id3v2 to check the tags, and the (Long) Description was listed as the "TT3" tag:

id3v2 tag info for Love In Fear.mp3:
TEN (Encoded by): iTunes v4.9.0.17
COM (Comments): (iTunNORM)[eng]:  00000F4A 00000573 0000AC2F 00003AA5 000340F5 00001BA7 0000864D 0000840F 0002D639 00034EF0
COM (Comments): (iTunes_CDDB_IDs)[eng]: 10+284448EC1C7BE892CF128E8BC4AC0930+5872480
TRK (Track number/Position in set): 3/10
TYE (Year): 2005
TDR ():  frame
PCS ():  frame
TT3 (Subtitle/Description refinement): 3:55, from Tournament of Hearts by The Constantines
TDS ():  frame
TID ():  frame
WFD ():  frame
TCO (Content type): Alternative & Punk (255)
TT2 (Title/songname/content description): Love In Fear
TP1 (Lead performer(s)/Soloist(s)): The Constantines
But trying to set that tag ("--TT3") w/ id3v2 caused an error (unknown tag). Setting the TIT3 tag ("--TIT3") to any value caused the tags to be significantly shuffled around (mixing ID3v1 and ID3v2)!
id3v1 tag info for Love In Fear.mp3:
Title  : Love In Fear                   Artist: The Constantines
Album  :                                 Year: 2005, Genre: Unknown (255)
Comment:  00000F4A 00000573 0000AC2F     Track: 3
id3v2 tag info for Love In Fear.mp3:
TENC (Encoded by): iTunes v4.9.0.17
COMM (Comments): (iTunNORM)[eng]:  00000F4A 00000573 0000AC2F 00003AA5 000340F5 00001BA7 0000864D 0000840F 0002D639 00034EF0
COMM (Comments): (iTunes_CDDB_IDs)[eng]: 10+284448EC1C7BE892CF128E8BC4AC0930+5872480
TRCK (Track number/Position in set): 3/10
TYER (Year): 2005
So, this "fixes" my problem, but I don't quite understand how those tags worked, nor how iTunes could not be fooled into forgetting about a song originally downloaded as a Podcast. And, I need to go back and re-tag Artists, Title, etc. to those files. Not a good solution...

Next time I get a new Podcast file, I'm going to play w/ iTunes "Convert ID3 Tags" contextual/menu item. I'm very curious to hear any other takes on all this!

Make iTunes treat an MP3 podcast as a regular MP3
Authored by: hypert on Sep 22, '05 11:51:38PM

I'm not sure anyone else besides Doug and I are still reading this hint :-), but here's one more tip.

Again, I'm just trying these steps on the Sub Pop Podcast MP3s. (What? You haven't subscribed yet?!? You are missing out on some of the best indie/alt-rock out there!)

Once again, I want to thank Elliott, the original poster, for the suggestion to try the "id3v2" program. If I simply run "id3v2 -C" (the convert option) on the Sub Pop MP3s, I can keep all iimportant tags, but it clobbers a bunch of others, including the one(s) that flag the file as a podcast.

I can't find a combination of "Convert ID3 Tags" conversions inside iTunes to accomplish the same thing, so it looks like the "id3v2" program is the answer. Well, for me at least.

I'd love to hear what others find! Feel free to email, too, since it's hard to remember to keep checking back here. My address is just my username (hypert) at verizon.net (without the parens).

Make iTunes treat an MP3 podcast as a regular MP3
Authored by: DougAdams on Sep 22, '05 09:22:43AM
Thanks for checking out the scripts (Enter Category Text for Selected, Enter Description Text for Selected, and Enter Long Description Text for Selected). They merely set those tags, by the way.

There is another read-only track property called podcast, introduced in iTune 5.0, which I suspect is causing the trouble. This prop takes a boolean, and cannot be altered (at least via AppleScript). I'm not exactly sure who sets this, but perhaps your d/l'd 'casts are produced using Apple's new podcast XML namespaces, and iTunes sees this and sets podcast accordingly.

---
Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes

Make iTunes treat an MP3 podcast as a regular MP3
Authored by: hypert on Sep 22, '05 01:00:14PM
Well, I took your script and modified to display the current tag value before modifying. That's how I knew the data was really in (long) description. However, the script couldn't modify the tags (for me). Every time I re-ran it, my debug "display dialog" still showed the same values. id3v2 confirmed that there were no changes.

But, using id3v2 to set one tag seemed to blow away most of the ID3V2 tags (leaving the ID3V1 tags). This removed the podcast flag somehow, and I just had re-tag the the file. Might be easier to just d/l the MP3s from Sub Pop each week!

I appreciate knowing about the "podcast" boolean property in AppleScript. (I hadn't looked at iTunes 5's Dictionary yet!) Maybe someone will find a way to set that through some other means...

Make iTunes treat an MP3 podcast as a regular MP3
Authored by: DougAdams on Sep 22, '05 01:34:34PM

NP, hypert.

Thanks for the thought on displaying the Long Description, since you can't see it otherwise.

---