Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Tools for services' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Tools for services
Authored by: hombre on Sep 02, '05 11:00:11PM

I am baffled by the responses to this poll. I find services to be one of the most useful features of OS X. While I agree that, by itself, Apple's implementation feels unfinished, frustrating, and disappointing (they are prone to this, are they not?), developers have provided all the tools necessary to realize their potential. These include Service Manager to prune the menu and assign shortcuts, (and perhaps KeyCue to refresh your memory from time to time), Quicksilver, which has a Service Menu Module, ICeCoffEE to make the Services menu a contextual menu item (I use an older version that does not rely on APE), and Hot Service to put a second Services menu in the top level of the menu bar. Finally, you can create your own services with Text Wielder.

Tools for services
Authored by: chancer on Sep 04, '05 01:26:22AM

I'm interested in the Services Manager you mention. I can't find it. Can you provide a URL?

My favorite service: Word Service. And I use IceCoffee (or however you capitalize it) too.

Thanks,

Jessi

Tools for services
Authored by: hombre on Sep 04, '05 03:15:42AM

The url is:

I should mention that this app has been at "beta 1" since 2003. In particular, it has not been updated for 10.4 and it works much better in Panther. Maybe the developer can be coaxed into updating it if we show some interest.

Services Manager
Authored by: sjk on Sep 05, '05 04:05:34PM

And/or submit feedback to Apple to bundle a services manager with OS X. But lately they seem more interested in wasting time on "frivolous" features like Dashboard. ;-)

Tools for services
Authored by: displaced on Sep 08, '05 07:17:48AM

I use Services quite frequently too -- especially when browsing macosxhints.com!

Try this:

Whenever a hint features a Finder path to navigate to, save yourself a load of mouseclicks and folder-finding by:

Highlight the path's text, go into the Services menu, and try out the options under Finder. You can open or reveal the highlighted path.

Try it out on this:

/System/Library

I also use the Speech entry regularly. I get Victoria to read aloud a few paragraphs from Groklaw whilst I'm working on something else.

I agree the Services menu needs some additional thought from Apple. But the underlying notion is incredibly powerful.

Tools for services
Authored by: sjk on Sep 10, '05 07:06:03AM

Thanks for reminding me to add some shortcuts for those Finder services. :-)

Finder service shorcuts
Authored by: sjk on Sep 11, '05 08:38:45PM

Foo, that won't work because the service names are too generic -- Open, Reveal, Show Info.