Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Fix a BBEdit slow-down when editing multiple files' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Fix a BBEdit slow-down when editing multiple files
Authored by: zeb on Sep 02, '05 10:24:49AM

I have a PHP application with 54 documents that I keep open in BBEdit for days or weeks at a time with each page undergoing heavy editing. I have never noticed a slow-down in performance... both on my new PM G5 2.3 and on my old PB G4 550. So I suspect that the performance degradation you speak of has a lot to due with available RAM and HD space.

---
..:: Zeb ::..

zebellis.com

Fix a BBEdit slow-down when editing multiple files
Authored by: dv8godd on Sep 02, '05 10:49:47AM

I experience the slowdown every once in a while myself...

but I have over a terrabyte of HD space... over 100gigs on my startup drive free... and 4gb of RAM on a dual 2ghz G5.

So I seriously doubt it's due to HD or RAM.

Fix a BBEdit slow-down when editing multiple files
Authored by: philipu on Sep 02, '05 10:49:59AM

i've definitely noticed the slowdown described above on my 1.67 powerbook g4 with 1.5gb ram and tens of gigs of free space on the drive.

hopefully flushing the undo history will do the trick. my firm believe that bbedit doesn't suck was beginning to weaken. it gets seriously slow. i usually notice it when i'm trying to select multiple lines of text.

seriously though, a modern text editor should not have problems like this. Nedit is blazingly fast under similar conditions, but i tend not to use it because it doesn't fit in my work flow the same way bbedit does.

Fix a BBEdit slow-down when editing multiple files
Authored by: zeb on Sep 02, '05 11:32:01AM

Hmmm, I wonder what else it could be? Oh well... I'll just consider myself lucky!

(of course, now that I've jinxed myself, it's good to know that there's a solution ;)

---
..:: Zeb ::..

zebellis.com

Fix a BBEdit slow-down when editing multiple files
Authored by: thornrag on Sep 02, '05 12:28:34PM

"I have never noticed a slow-down in performance... both on my new PM G5 2.3 and on my old PB G4 550."

Good for you! Impressive credentials and machine. The problem must be totally imaginary on our end.

But I keep having this dream, in which I've got even just a handful of documents open, in various configurations of drawers and single windows, scrolled to various positions vertically and horizontally, because they're huge documents with long lines. I keep copying and pasting, and BBEdit just gets slower and slower, even though I'm using powerful G5 towers. Scrolling goes one line at a time. Dragging to make a selection is a painstaking process. Closing and reopening documents doesn't help.

Next time I get trapped in this imaginary dreamworld, I'll see if I can convince my dream-self to try the damn hint. Maybe I'll dream that it works.

Fix a BBEdit slow-down when editing multiple files
Authored by: zeb on Sep 02, '05 02:03:33PM
Oh c'mon. I was trying to help by suggesting that the problem may in-fact be system-dependent. I've never noticed it, and I was trying to point out that I work in two different system environments with the same documents - information that is definitely helpful when trying to uncover the cause of any computer related issues. If we were able to come up with a different cause (and the fact that I don't experience the problem suggests that there is something else afoot), I would much rather seek an alternate solution than clearing my undo history. That is after all the main reason I hardly ever close my documents, and one of the reasons that BBEdit "Doesn't SuckĀ®". So my objective was not to impress others with my system. Lots of people have G5 towers. Sounds like you do too. What's your beef with me?

...

One may also find it very interesting that even though I have never noticed the "one-second delay" as noted in the hint, I have certainly experienced the slow scrolling while selecting.

---
..:: Zeb ::..

zebellis.com

Fix a BBEdit slow-down when scrolling
Authored by: lrivers on Sep 02, '05 06:57:00PM

There's a keyboard accelerator--press "option" whilst dragging the selection and whoot there it is. Documented, by the way...

Accelerated Scrolling
When clicking the arrows in a scroll bar, you can use the Command and Option keys to accelerate the scrolling. These shortcuts also apply if you use a mouse with a built-in scroll wheel.

Modifier          Scroll Speed
none              Normal
Command           2x accelerated
Option            3x accelerated
Command+Option    6x accelerated

Fix a BBEdit slow-down when editing multiple files
Authored by: EelBait on Sep 03, '05 04:25:27PM

In my case, BBEdit was taking forever to open various dialogs such as the "Find", "Open" or "Save" windows. Using spincontrol I found it was in some code that resolves symlinks. By removing all the alias files in "~/Library/Preferences/com.barebones.bbedit.PreferenceData/Recent Files & Folders" as well as the "Recent Folders & Favorites" directories, BBEdit no longer took forever to open those windows.