Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Tiger is effected as well!' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Tiger is effected as well!
Authored by: ktohg on Aug 09, '05 04:39:30PM

I just had a nasty bit of a pickle today concerning this hint. Thank the Gods and Goddesses that this hint was here or I'd have have had to take a long trip to the Apple store.

Anyway I'm using Tiger 10.4.2 and just installed the latest updates for 8/9/05 and the finder just started freezing with the indefinite pin-wheel. At first it started with me inserting a Neverwinter Nights CD and soon every time I'd reboot. Had to force power off by holding the power button for 10 sec since the system would render itself unusable (I didn't try SSH).

So I rebooted and entered single user mode (hold Apple-S keys while you turn on machine). I then read the system.log file to try and diagnose what happened.

root# cd /var/log
root# less system.log

I found at the end that a program called coreservicesd crashed and an attempt to dump the core and crash report was done. So I went to my handy dandy macosxhints search tool and found this thread and attempted to try the suggested fix.

root# cd /
root# mv /Library/Caches /_Library_Caches
root# reboot

This fixed it! So this infamous "Cache" problem still happens in Tiger. To all ye best of luck.

Tiger is effected as well!
Authored by: slashj on Aug 10, '05 11:52:44AM

I have 10.4.2 and was unable to log on, even in safe mode.
None of the usual stuff worked. This hint, however, did.
Life saver.

More symptoms to this "cache" bug
Authored by: rdstokes on Oct 13, '05 10:21:58PM

This solution helped me today so I thought I'd provide more symptoms to the bug. We're running a PPC Duel G5 on MacOS 10.3.9 in a graphics environment.

The problem occurred after a nice clean restart of the computer. The computer had just gone through monthly maintenance so drive corruption, permissions, launch services, etc. were all in working order. When the computer booted, the Finder would launch, the Dock worked correctly, and the computer ran for about 45 seconds. Then, the fans would race for 10 seconds followed by a spinning ball. If you clicked on a menu, the menu title would darken, but would not pull down. You could switch between open applications but could not execute any commands.

I had two other operating systems on different volumes. If I booted from either of them, the same symptoms occurred. However, if I boot from another volume and immediately trash the volume with the cache, the problem would not occur. In theory, booting from another volume should not result in the same symptoms. Can anyone tell me why it does?

The way I found this post was because I immediately opened a Terminal window after boot and ran the top command. Once the fans raced, I noticed that the unix process "coreservic" was hitting 98%, 99%, 100%, or 101%. A simple search on coreservic or coreserviced got me to this post and helped me resolve my customer's issue.

Thanks,
Rob

More symptoms to this "cache" bug
Authored by: rdstokes on Oct 13, '05 10:29:49PM

The way I found this post was because I immediately opened a Terminal window after boot and ran the top command. Once the fans raced, I noticed that the unix process "coreservic" was hitting 98%, 99%, 100%, or 101%. A simple search on coreservic or coreservicesd got me to this thread and helped me resolve my customer's issue.

Just to recap, here's the solution:
Boot into single user mode (hold Apple-S keys while you turn on machine) and type:

root# cd /
root# mv /Library/Caches /_Library_Caches
root# reboot

More symptoms to this "cache" bug
Authored by: ioshy on Nov 29, '10 09:34:39AM

Worked like a charm for me.
I did that because both "mdworker" and "coreservicesd" were crashing repeatdly on my Mac Pro Dual Core Intel Xeon running Mac OSX 10.5.8

Thanks for the hint !

Tiger is effected as well!
Authored by: luhmann on Oct 26, '05 07:34:01AM

Confirmed that 10.4.2 still has this problem. I think it started after a network drive was improperly removed.

No need to start up as root to fix the problem though. Just use "sudo" for the "mv" command and it will work fine.

Tiger (10.4.9) is effected as well!
Authored by: philliptiongson on May 07, '07 08:07:57AM

10.4.9 still seems to be affected by this. My computer has been hanging almost every day, and it happens especially when our backup porcess occurs. I have changed the name of Caches using sudo, and hopefully it will do the trick.

Thanks!

Leopard is affected as well!
Authored by: pdxguy on Apr 28, '08 07:54:33AM

Ran into the same problem under 10.5.1. Was able to boot in single-user mode and browsed the log files. Found that coreservicesd crashed right after booting, even before I got the login window. Followed the tip here about moving it, rebooted, and was good to go.

---
Nothing will ever be attempted, if all possible objections must first be overcome.
-- Samuel Johnson

OS X Server 10.5.7 is affected as well!
Authored by: zebrum on Jun 20, '09 06:14:07PM

Ran into this same problem on OS X Server 10.5.7. mdworker and coreservicesd were crashing repeatedly about 1 minute after boot and the UI became frozen. Luckily I could SSH in and move the Cache folder as said.

Also I could temporarily fix by disabling mdworker with:
sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist

However that meant I couldn't use Spotlight. So yeh moving the Cache folder fixed it for me.