Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.4: An overview of NTFS support in Tiger' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.4: An overview of NTFS support in Tiger
Authored by: macslut on Aug 04, '05 11:34:22AM

Great summary. Two comments:

1) I think we (anyone needing to move drives between Mac and PC) should write to Apple and Microsoft and ask for better support for this. Specifically, Apple needs to (license the tech if necessary) allow formatting and writing NTFS.

2) I have a few external drives that I swap on a regular basis between my Mac and PC. They are large drives (120GB, 250GB 400GB). I format those as FAT32, but the key is to format them as FAT32 *on the Mac*, if you want a single full sized partition. In other words, my iTunes collection is about 250GB. Windows XP limits the maximum partition size to 32GB when formatting. However, I can format the drive as a 250GB single FAT32 partition in OS X, copy my entire library, and then Windows XP will handle it just fine.

10.4: An overview of NTFS support in Tiger
Authored by: GlowingApple on Aug 04, '05 12:16:19PM

Writing to NTFS has plagued linux users for some time now as the file system is almost entirely proprietary. There are a few programs for a linux that can write to NTFS using the Windows dll driver, but this would not work on Mac (unless it could be recompiled for ppc or support could be added for Intel Macs with some kind of Wine support installed).

I would say that Mac doesn't have much of a choice until MS decides to license their filesystem for other OS's to use, and knowing MS's giving nature with their proprietary code...well, let's just say we may have to wait until someone hacks their code first...

---
Jayson --When Microsoft asks you, "Where do you want to go today?" tell them "Apple."

10.4: An overview of NTFS support in Tiger
Authored by: MCDr on Aug 04, '05 03:36:33PM

Windows does not have a max partition size on FAT32 av 32GB! FAT16 has got a max limit, but FAT32 does NOT!

But FAT32 has a filesize limit at 4GB.

10.4: An overview of NTFS support in Tiger
Authored by: diamondsw on Aug 04, '05 05:50:59PM
Nobody said the volume format had a size limitation - what was stated is Windows XP imposes an artificial 32GB limit, which is true. They want you to use NTFS, period.

10.4: An overview of NTFS support in Tiger
Authored by: Bruce Miller on Aug 04, '05 06:19:12PM

Windows XP built in utility limits 32GB FAT32 formatting, not the OS, just use Partition Magic.

10.4: An overview of NTFS support in Tiger
Authored by: macslut on Aug 05, '05 02:08:18AM

That's exactly what I meant when I said "Windows XP limits the maximum partition size to 32GB when formatting". Sure, you could spend $70 on PartitionMagic, but the whole point of this thread is that the drive is going to be going back and forth between Mac and PC. The Mac will do the job without additional software.

Also even PartitionMagic has only been tested and is supported on drives up to 300GB (according to Symantec), why bother when OS X will format a single partition up to 400GB or more?

Still, I wish they would cross license HFS+ and NTFS.