Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.4: Increase the system's process limits' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.4: Increase the system's process limits
Authored by: stephendv on Jul 20, '05 11:53:33AM
Just to clarify, all 10.4 systems use launchd, whether you performed a clean install or an upgrade.

If you performed an upgrade to 10.4 then launchd is not used for network services, instead the old xinetd is used. But launchd is still used to launch all other daemons (in fact, launchd launches xinetd on upgraded systems) - so whether you performed a clean install or an upgrade should have no effect on this hint.

10.4: Increase the system's process limits
Authored by: rumirocks on Jul 20, '05 12:57:52PM

How do you create this file and where do you put it?

/etc/launchd.conf file

I know you have to do in terminal, but what are the steps before?

I know this is a baby question to all of you, but my system is SLUGGISH since this update and I have the 100/532 maxproc thingey.

thanks for your patience.

10.4: Increase the system's process limits
Authored by: macshome on Jul 20, '05 01:04:21PM

Check our launchd article or the man page for launchctl for more details.

I think there was a hint here yesterday about it too. :)

---
Breaking my server to save yours.

10.4: Increase the system's process limits
Authored by: pdm on Jul 20, '05 05:28:49PM

If your system is sluggish this isn't the problem. If you use terminal you would get "Cannot fork" errors, or if no applications could be launched. I reguarly have 30 or more terminals open and reguarly run into the 100 process limits.

Sorry, this wont be of any use to your problems are sluggish problems. Is is only raising the max number of concurrent processes per user.

---
-pdm

10.4: Increase the system's process limits
Authored by: rumirocks on Jul 20, '05 06:18:50PM

PDM,

I have a thing on my menu bar that tells me what % of the processor is being used.

Since I upgraded to Tiger, it's at or near 100% most of the day. Even if all that is open is Mail.

This thing lists Processor, Uptime, Tasks/Threads, and Load Average.

That's what I call "sluggish." It was definitely not the case pre-Tiger upgrade.

The Activity Console shows WindowServer using the most of the CPU at all times.

I use Macaroni on automated schedules, DiskWarrior once a month, no dinky shareware that I dont investigate as seriously working. I am a responsible ignoramus user of this computer, and I scour Macosxhints every day even though I'm not a geek.

The parent post of this thread was the first hint that maybe I could do something about this.

Thanks for replying.

10.4: Increase the system's process limits
Authored by: davidmorr on Jul 20, '05 07:41:33PM

It's probably Spotlight. I understand that it is constantly running whenever you do anything so it can index any new files. See the tips here for how to disable it.

David

10.4: Increase the system's process limits
Authored by: ChrisAllison on Jul 27, '05 05:47:19PM

This thing lists Processor, Uptime, Tasks/Threads, and Load Average.

The Processor readout indicates how much of your computer's processor is being used at any given time. The Tasks/Threads readout is specifying how many processes are running.

As you know from firsthand experience (ie: just having mail running), the number of processes is not necessarily tied directly to the percent of the processor being used. One process can tie up the entire cpu if it's either doing a lot of work (on purpose), or doing a lot of unecessary work (sitting there and spinning its wheels - malfunctioning).

The Activity Console shows WindowServer using the most of the CPU at all times.

The parent hint describes how to allow your computer run more processes, but from the sound of things, (WindowServer chewing up most of your processor), you need to fix what you already have running. Your problblockquote is not a limit on how many processes you can run, but one (perhaps more?) runaway process.

While I have not updated to Tiger yet, my experience with Major OS X updates has been performance improvblockquoteents, and I have not heard that contradicated anywhere. Sounds like something might be messed up on your systblockquote.

I use Macaroni on automated schedules, DiskWarrior once a month

A quick Google turned up this Macaroni Page. While it doesn't look (based on the description) that Macaroni could be responsible for the WindowServer running out of control, I don't really know anything about Macaroni, and it's possible that a failure to upgrade that (or perhaps some other systblockquote modification?) could be responsible.

Without knowing more about your system (and, ideally: access to it), I can't really tell you anything more, but I wish you luck in regaining those processor cycles.

10.4: Increase the system's process limits
Authored by: ChrisAllison on Jul 27, '05 06:24:21PM
As was pointed out in the parent hint's linked blog post, "Every process you run from the GUI is launched by WindowServer." - Activity Console naming WindowServer as the problem is about as specific as blaming "the government" when some individual bureaucrat messes up.

I'm curious as to whether the top program would give a better output (actually name the offending process) than the Apple Activity Monitor (I don't think it should). Running the following command in a terminal will output a bunch of information you don't really care about (but which is useful in many circumstances), followed by a list of the top ten commands/processes (-n 10) which are using the cpu the most, sorted in descending order based on processor usage (-o -cpu), five times (-l 5):
top -o -cpu -n 10 -l 5
Scroll through that output (modifying it to take more samples if you so choose) to see if there are one or two commands named chewing up most of your processor.

Run with or without the limit (-l), top is a fairly processor intensive command (for the duration of its runtime), as it polls the cpu once a second to get a pretty comprehensive idea of what's going on... it's kind of like someone asking you how you feel every few seconds. Answering "How do you feel now? ... How do you feel now? ... How do you feel now? ..." over and over takes up some of your attention and thinking power. One of my theories is that the little menu bar gizmo you have reporting on Processor, Uptime, Tasks/Threads, and Load Average - all of which constitute a fair chunk of what top checks - might be responsible for the sluggish state of your machine, especially if you have it set to update every few seconds or less.

10.4: Increase the system's process limits
Authored by: GaelicWizard on Jul 21, '05 12:49:04AM

You do not need to create this file in the terminal. Create a plain text file (not a rich text file) with the mentioned contents. Save the file. In the Save dialog box, press apple-G and type "/etc" into the box that appears. name the file launchd.conf and it will ask you if you want to use .conf, .txt, or both for the file extension. Choose .conf. That's it.

JP