Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.4: Change default Finder search criteria' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.4: Change default Finder search criteria
Authored by: arg on Jul 01, '05 01:12:08PM

Just a correction. The hint reads:

To remove the default criteria alltogether, replace the criteria array with an empty array. Replace...

<key>FXCriteriaSlices</key>
<array>
// here are the criteria
</array>

with this...
<key>FXCriteriaSlices</key>
<array/>

Actually, if you're replacing the criteria with nothing, I believe you still need both array tags (the hint just shows the closed tag). Without the opening array tag, the Finder goes kaplooey. At least it did for me.

So, an empty serach criteria find window would look like this:

<key>FXCriteriaSlices</key>
<array>
<array/>

Otherwise, thanks for this hint. It works great, and I have Cmd-F working much more how I like it now.

10.4: Change default Finder search criteria
Authored by: maddys_daddy on Jul 01, '05 01:49:20PM

Actually, (and I'm not 100% certain on this, I'm just learning XML syntax) that <array/> is not merely a closing tag, but rather a sort of "open and close" or "null" tag. </array> is the closing tag, while <array/> is not. So if you executed his hint by simply deleting the <array> opening tag, without changing the </array> to <array/>, that might explain why your Finder is going "kablooey." I'm not at my Mac right now to test, though, and I could be wrong.

10.4: Change default Finder search criteria
Authored by: MJCube on Jul 01, '05 04:10:32PM
Absolutely correct, maddys_daddy. The documentation is here.

10.4: Change default Finder search criteria
Authored by: rpoland on Jul 02, '05 04:59:47PM

Now that we all know how to set the search criteria, (well sort of) I still have one request.

How can we set the cursor to the blank window after Name/Contains.

I find the action of the default window to be a terrible waste of time. If I were to search for "time" I'm not too interested in spinning my wheels looking for all occurances of "t" or "ti" or "tim".

10.4: Change default Finder search criteria
Authored by: Zo-1 on Jul 03, '05 03:43:41AM
10.4: Change default Finder search criteria
Authored by: jehrler on Jul 06, '05 12:30:47PM

Laserlight is definitely way cool. Unfortunately, even with the keyword/name search selected it won't ONLY search name because it uses the general spotlight search field rather than the Finder one.