Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!


Click here to return to the 'A possible fix for slow SSH and Safari domain issues' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
A possible fix for slow SSH and Safari domain issues
Authored by: emarmite on Jun 22, '05 03:15:29PM

I've experienced this problem too but in a slightly different way.

Comcast sets my search domain as ha1.ca.comcast.net, yet the issue I'm seeing is that '.net' gets added to the end of any domain it couldn't find.

One really scary effect of this was that when I attempted to connect to my office Windows PC via Remote Desktop Protocol, .net got added to the end of the URL and I found myself at a working RDP Windows 2003 server (address 70.85.43.36). My user ID and password were automatically submitted to this machine. I was rather concerned this box was put there simply to gather passwords (what's the chance of a random machine you are misconnected to is running the correct protocol on an open port?) and had to immediately go change my Windows passwords.

Another weird effect was this comcast search domain seemed to 'leak' through even when I manually set them on my router ($30 Netgear RIP614v2), Apple Airport base station and my powerbook. So I'd set some other domain and as long as I use DHCP to get an IP from Comcast, it's still appearing in my /etc/resolv.conf as a search domain.

Final weirdness: looking up domain names using host, dig & nslookup, the .net is not added. But using ping or Microsoft RDP, the .net is magically added. This hint gets me closer to understanding why.

The only solution for me was to manually set my DNS servers to point somewhere else (Verizon 4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2, etc.). This stopped the issue right away.

Comcast were useless: they told me to flush my cache....

Ironically, I moved house very near to upgrading Tiger and so assumed it was a Comcast only fault, not a Tiger one. Undoubtedly though, they are doing some wacky stuff to 'catch' broken URL requests and it's not helping.



[ Reply to This | # ]
A possible fix for slow SSH and Safari domain issues
Authored by: player9 on Jun 22, '05 05:15:16PM

I was having disconnects in Safari and Firefox and checked my Netgear Router and noticed that it did not have my ISP DNS IP Addresses. I added those in there and in Network Preferences, I added my router's IP as the DNS and that fixed my internet connection. In Panther this worked fine with my ISP DNS Servers in Network Preferences, but for some reason, Tiger's DNS is not the same.



[ Reply to This | # ]