Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.4: Enable hidden disk image formats in Disk Utility' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.4: Enable hidden disk image formats in Disk Utility
Authored by: DaMacGuy on Jun 20, '05 11:11:04AM

I haven't run this hint, but that's because I already have these options available. Maybe this is because I have XCode installed?

The full list, that at least I have, available in Disk Utility is...
  • Disk Copy 4.2
  • NDIF read/write
  • NDIF read-only
  • NDIF compressed
  • NDIF compressed (KenCode)
  • read-only
  • compressed (ADC)
  • compressed
  • compressed (bzip2)
  • entire device
  • iPod image
  • UDIF stub
  • read/write
  • DVD/CD master
  • sparse
  • ---
    -DaMacGuy

10.4: Enable hidden disk image formats in Disk Utility
    Authored by: Tetonne on Jun 20, '05 12:02:24PM

great but how did U do that
    further information & explanation would be great don't U think so? :-)

10.4: Enable hidden disk image formats in Disk Utility
    Authored by: jorn_k on Jun 20, '05 12:11:45PM

Along the same lines, what are you asking when you state "How do you do that?"

What's "that?" The hint explained it. Are you asking how to do something else? Maybe we need a better explanation from you, first. :)

10.4: Enable hidden disk image formats in Disk Utility
    Authored by: lpp on Jun 20, '05 12:24:19PM

His point is that he probably has Developer Tools installed but did not get the extra options by default in Disk Image.app. He is wondering how GP managed to get the options if he did not do what the OP did.

I have the same experience. I have Developer Tools, but the advanced options aren't available. If I perform the defaults operation indicated, I get the options.

So what did GP do if he didn't change the defaults?

10.4: Enable hidden disk image formats in Disk Utility
    Authored by: riccard0 on Jun 20, '05 12:48:32PM

Maybe it has to do with wich version of OS and XCode one has installed. For example, I have 10.4.1 and XCode 2.1 and can see all options.

10.4: Enable hidden disk image formats in Disk Utility
    Authored by: lullabud on Jun 20, '05 12:57:13PM

That is the same software I have and I didn't have to do this hint to get the extras. Funny, I just noticed this the other day, I'm used to creating disk images with `hdiutil`.

10.4: Enable hidden disk image formats in Disk Utility
    Authored by: SandManMattSH on Mar 23, '06 02:26:55PM

Sometimes I believe that the most obvious answer is most likely the correct one...
    I think it is safe to assume that either:
    - He ran this command in terminal a while ago and just doesn't remember.
    - Someone else did and he dooesn't know.
    - He ran a system mod utility like "TinkerTool" and used an option in there (there is one to do this in TinkerTool). [or someone else did]
    - Aliens have abducted his computer and did t themselves (although this is redundand, because it would full under the second category).

It is also possible that he stared using Tiger with a clean install of a developer build. As far as I know, the first two beta releases had the advanced formats in Disk Utility enabled by default. All GM versions should have it disabled BY DEFAULT, with or without the dev tools installed.

~Matt SH

10.4: Enable hidden disk image formats in Disk Utility
    Authored by: diamondsw on Jun 20, '05 02:43:03PM

Where in Disk Utility do you see this list?

10.4: Enable hidden disk image formats in Disk Utility
    Authored by: juz10mac on Jun 20, '05 06:23:23PM

When you choose 'Convert' at the top and under 'Image Formats.' (You have to have a disk image selected first).

Run it from the user you want to use it from.
    Authored by: juz10mac on Jun 20, '05 06:17:55PM

I figured it out. I was trying to run this command as another user and using sudo. Just run the command from your current user, as-is (not sudo'ed). Now you should have the additional image formats to choose from in Disk Utility.

10.4: Enable hidden disk image formats in Disk Utility
    Authored by: dcclark on Jun 20, '05 08:09:39PM

This also works in 10.3.8, as I just tried.