Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.4: Finder searches fail for Spotlight-excluded drives' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.4: Finder searches fail for Spotlight-excluded drives
Authored by: Gigacorpse on Jun 17, '05 10:36:55AM

I don't have any external drives to test against but it might be adaptable to fix the problem.

10.4: Finder searches fail for Spotlight-excluded drives
Authored by: wallygva on Jun 17, '05 11:19:50AM

You will also find this website useful...helps you pull just your backup drives out of Spotlight's reach...

10.4: Finder searches fail for Spotlight-excluded drives
Authored by: egilDOTnet on Jun 17, '05 04:39:05PM

Good resources, both of these (thanks!). I will certainly use mdutil for my part then. I actually tried that for a while, but did not do any searches against the drive in question so that I didnt discover the difference in behaviour from the Privacy tab.

10.4: Finder searches fail for Spotlight-excluded drives
Authored by: elmimmo on Jun 18, '05 06:35:42AM

Note that while the hint in that link will make SpotLight, Finder's search field and Command+F to fall back to Panther-like behaviour (that is, "name contains…" ignoring metadata and content), you will be loosing search capabilities in Mail 2.

10.4: Finder searches fail for Spotlight-excluded drives
Authored by: arg on Jun 18, '05 05:23:21PM

Just to be clear, you don't lose ALL search capabilities in Mail. You only lose search-by-message-contents (or "Entire Message" as it's called in Mail) capabilties. Searching by to, from, and subject all continue to work.

10.4: Finder searches fail for Spotlight-excluded drives
Authored by: emale on Jun 18, '05 07:22:29AM

Thanks for this tip. I thought I could fix an issue when disabling spotlight, but unfortunately this did not help - however I keep Spotlight disabled and keep the Panther-like search.
One my problem of Tiger - I think I didn't have it in Tiger - was that I have a file called "myfile" on my harddisk. When searching for "myfile" or "my": No problem, there it is! But if I remember "there was important data in a file called 'file' or something like that" I'm really stuck! I can't find the file "myfile" when I'm searching for "file". Tiger only searches for names starting with the entered word!
Hope, Apple will fix this - so be critical when searching for files and your Mac can't find anything...

10.4: Finder searches fail for Spotlight-excluded drives
Authored by: skunk on Jun 18, '05 08:22:01AM

Good point. I have often been stymied searching for files with a partial name which does not include the first part of the name.