Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.4: Add Spotlight keywords to images with Preview' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.4: Add Spotlight keywords to images with Preview
Authored by: benishs on Jun 16, '05 01:09:56PM

OK - but is there a way to add keyword(s) to a batch of files all at once? If I have a bunch of photos from a vacation, do I need to individually tag each one, even though they would all share some keywords?

10.4: Add Spotlight keywords to images with Preview
Authored by: richmc on Jun 16, '05 01:30:28PM

My big question is, is there a way to add keywords to any file? Anyone know if a script or program is out there that will allow keyword additions, instead of comments?

Rich

10.4: Add Spotlight keywords to images with Preview
Authored by: leraillez@netinf on Jun 16, '05 06:29:00PM

GraphicConverter lets you change the IPTC data. I tried to script GC but I didn't find the right way to change the "comments" that way (didn't try more than 15 mn though ;-)

If you search IPTC on VersionTracker you'll find a few apps that'll let you batch modify the metat data on images without opening them so the jpeg will stay untouched.

10.4: Add Spotlight keywords to images with Preview
Authored by: Whosawhatsis on Jun 17, '05 12:03:44AM
You mean like this?

---
I was offered a penny for my thoughts, so I gave my two cents... I got ripped off.

10.4: Add Spotlight keywords to images with Preview
Authored by: richmc on Jun 17, '05 12:43:04AM

Its very close, but what I don't want to use is the comments field which actually is kMDItemFinderComment, I want to palce the keywords in the keywords field, kMDItemKeywords.

Rich

10.4: Add Spotlight keywords to images with Preview
Authored by: Tom Robinson on Jun 17, '05 02:06:42AM

GraphicConverter can definitely change the IPTC data for multiple files in one hit, and if you put the text into the IPTC Keywords field, it's loaded into Spotlight's kMDItemKeywords.

Just use the GC Browser to show the files you want to change, select them (shift click, ctrl-click, etc.), and do a command-I.

GC's Convert & Modify can also batch load IPTC data from a text file, but I haven't tried that.

Cheers

10.4: Add Spotlight keywords to images with Preview
Authored by: Tom Robinson on Jun 17, '05 02:13:49AM

And after rereading the questions...

GC can add/edit IPTC data to files which support it (JPEG, GIF, TIFF, others?)

For other files you're stuck with whatever file format you're dealing with. Plain text files don't support any keywords, Word documents have their own properties you set within Word, RTFs have keywords you can set with TextEdit, etc.

Finder comments work but they've always been flakey. You may be able to instruct Spotlight to store additional data for the file (like it stores where Safari's downloaded a file from), but again, it's not something to be relied on.

10.4: Add Spotlight keywords to images with Preview
Authored by: Anonymous on Jun 17, '05 03:32:14AM

I have a neat combination of applescripts and plugins for iPhoto that I use the achieve this.

You can use GraphicConverter file browser window to select all of the images you want to add keywords to and then open the IPTC info window to add them.

Until iPhoto 5 i only used GraphicConverter to browse and tag my digital photos with IPTC keywords. When iPhoto 5 came along I decided it was good enough to use instead of GraphicConverter....but iPhoto doesn't understand IPTC keywords.

So I wrote an applescript that imported all of my IPTC keywords into the iPhoto keyword list and applied them to the images. I also have a script the exports iPhoto's keywords back to IPTC keywords in each image. That way when you export an image from iPhoto the keywords go with it. The combination I use is:

iPhoto 5
Keyword Assistant Plugin http://homepage.mac.com/kenferry/software.html
GraphicConverter
My Import/Export Applescripts - which I'll post link to later as I don't have them ready for general consumption.

Keyword Assistant is fantastic as it does autocompletion of keywords as you type from you keyword list or from your Address Book. It also allows you to create new keywords using applescript. Something again the iPhoto is lacking.

I use GraphicConverter to get/set IPTC keywords. One complaint I have is that if Preview.app was scriptable I probably wouldn't have use GraphicConverter!

10.4: Add Spotlight keywords to images with Preview
Authored by: Anonymous on Nov 13, '05 06:33:47PM
I finally got around to uploading my iPhoto IPTC keyword import export scripts. You can find them at:

10.4: Add Spotlight keywords to images with Preview