Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.4: Use Automator to combine PDFs' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.4: Use Automator to combine PDFs
Authored by: mm2270 on Jun 16, '05 10:58:19AM

Nice hint. The only thing I can see that I don't like about it is that I can't specify the order I want the files to combine in. I tested it with a few PDFs, and it didn't seem to make a difference which order I selected the files in in the Finder. They always combined in a certain fashion- one which I didn't want them to.

Anyone know of a way to control that? If so, this will be very useful.

10.4: Use Automator to combine PDFs
Authored by: rpcr on Jun 16, '05 11:52:10AM

Have you tried renaming them so that they begin with a number? I would imagine that they are passed in alphabetical order from the Finder.

10.4: Use Automator to combine PDFs
Authored by: drewk on Jun 16, '05 11:52:46AM
Insert the Automator action "Finder / Sort Finder Items" and select the criteria to sort on. You can sort by name, time, keyword, label, etc.

So you workflow would be:
  • Finder / Get Selected Finder Items
  • [Inserted Step] Finder / Sort Items (Set the 'By' and ascending/descending appropriate to your files to combine)
  • PDF: Combine PDF Pages (Option: Append)
  • Finder / Open Finder Items

This assumes that some form of sorting of your files delivers what you want your final PDF order to be. If not -- check into the Automator Finder Rename route.

--drewk--

• 10.4: Use Automator to combine PDFs
    Authored by: legacyb4 on Jul 05, '05 11:32:36PM

Beautiful. That worked like a charm.

My first use of Automator and I'm amazed at how easy it is...

10.4: Use Automator to combine PDFs
    Authored by: Nimitz on Jun 16, '05 07:07:05PM

Actually, in my case, alphabetical order works.

For a customer, I changed his FileMaker Pro application: in addition to printing an offer, he can now generate pdf's of the singlepage offercover, multiple page offercontent and accompagnying single page orderform. After combining these pages, he can mail this PDF to his customer.

And all that in Automator!
    1) in Filemaker, preset "Print to PDF" for the different parts you want to print (even if not in the same database-file) (use the scripter wisely)
    2) still in the FMP scripter, put the output in a folder like "Current Offer", and take care that each printeable part is called "A.pdf", "B.pdf", ...
    3) Add a folder-automation script to that "Current Offer"-folder which combines the pdfs, renames it and makes a mail with that file in attachment.

If your customer sees you creating something like that in less than 15 minutes, you'll get a lot of respect.

---
    -----------
    The Nimitz

10.4: Use Automator to combine PDFs
    Authored by: gytorom on Aug 02, '05 08:10:03PM

You an get some some control over arranging the pdfs as you would like by adding the finder action "sort finder items" between "Get specified finder actions" and "Combine PDF pages."