Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Good hint!!' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Good hint!!
Authored by: allanBook on Jun 16, '05 01:44:11AM

Since I view most of my quicktime files in full screen, worrying about the pointer's focus is a non-issue.

I was wondering, though, if anybody knew a way to skip ahead and backwards by 10-second or one-minute increments via scroll wheel or kb shortcut, cuz that would be an even better hint.

---
"Mr. Simpson, this is the most blatant case of fraudulent advertising since my suit against the film The NeverEnding Story." -Lionel Hutz (of Simpsons fame)

Use MPlayer
Authored by: PopMcGee on Jun 16, '05 03:11:34AM

Maybe you already know this, but with MPlayer (which is quite compatible with most quicktime files), you can press the forwards/backwards arrows to jump 10 seconds, and the up/down arrows to jump 1 minute forwards+backwards.

Cheers!

Use MPlayer
Authored by: Tom Robinson on Jun 17, '05 01:56:17AM

Plus Page Up and Page Down for (about) 10 minutes. But like johnseal says, it's Page Up to go forwards, and Down to go backwards. The opposite to all other scrolling. Sigh.

MPlayer does do it, but...
Authored by: allanBook on Jun 16, '05 10:20:15AM

Both mplayer and vlc do allow skipping ahead and backwards in those increments, but vlc locks and crashes so much for me and I can't stand how mplayer starts off at max volume whenever I drag and drop a movie file to open it :-(.

I was hoping for a more quicktime-native solution, seeing as how I paid for the pro license and was hoping there was some undocumented kb shortcut scheme to achieve the same.

I do appreciate how qt pro allows one to play video files at different speeds, but I hate having to open a menu and click-dragging with a mouse in order to do it.

Oh well, maybe in QT8 (or if I can get cellulo to run under 10.4.1).

Thanks anyway ^_^.

---

MPlayer does do it, but...
Authored by: swedentom on Jun 16, '05 12:23:59PM
Good hint!!
Authored by: whom on Jun 16, '05 08:54:41PM
You could drop an applescript application like this in your dock. Or, use a key macro application to automate is (iKey, Xing, QuickSilver, Butler, Quickkeys, etc)

tell application "QuickTime Player"
	set timeScale to time scale of front movie
	set currentTime to current time of front movie
	set newTime to (currentTime + timeScale * 10)
	if newTime is less than the duration of front movie then
		set current time of front movie to newTime
	end if