Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Install an Ogg Vorbis iTunes plugin (revisited)' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Install an Ogg Vorbis iTunes plugin (revisited)
Authored by: thisby on Jun 16, '05 01:20:54AM

So...this great plugin doesn't seem to work anymore, once you upgrade to iTunes 4.8 and Quicktime 7. (I'm guessing it's Quicktime that did it..?) The ogg files still show up with their metadata in the playlist, but once you try to play one, iTunes crashes.

I'm still on Panther, but on another forum there was a report that ogg files wouldn't work in Tiger with 4.8 and 7 either.

Any ideas around this one? Has anyone run across an update to the plugins at http://www.illadvised.com/~jordy/ or http://qtcomponents.sourceforge.net/ ..?

no updates for tiger/qt7
Authored by: gullevek on Jun 29, '05 09:23:02AM

Nothing, nada, zip. Probably never. Apple closed my request for ogg support (in my opinion for a pro coder, this is doable in a day, count in the company overhead, a week), but apple says there are "workarounds". Pah, humbug.

Well, no I set on my huge ogg collection and have to use other players. I hate this so much. Why can't there be a natural support for all of those formats, its not like mod files which had instruments, patterns, etc etc. This is just read header and decode. and the decode code is already there ...

ogg file icon in itunes 4.9
Authored by: futures67 on Jul 07, '05 06:29:48AM

Well, iTunes 4.9, if you "Show Package Contents", and have a look round you will find an ogg file icon hidden there... So maybe Apple will support ogg soon enough?

Install an Ogg Vorbis iTunes plugin (revisited)
Authored by: demmons65 on Jul 06, '05 03:13:22PM

I'm still running QT 6.5.2 under 10.3.9 but have iTunes 4.9 (17) installed. No dice here with this combination. Perhaps something with iTunes changed.

---
d a v e

Install an Ogg Vorbis iTunes plugin (revisited)
Authored by: midtoad on Jul 11, '05 08:27:09PM

I'm running Quicktime 6.5.2 and iTunes 4.9 on Panther, and I'm able to read .ogg files. I did upgrade to Quicktime 7, and that broke iTunes' ability to read .ogg files, so I used the downgrade facility that Apple provided in order to roll back to 6.5.2. Maybe do that, then uninstall iTunes and reinstall it?

Why it doesn't work and how it could be fixed
Authored by: DrLex on Aug 20, '05 11:50:23AM
Here's the deal: the current qtcomponents plugin doesn't work because something has changed in QT 7 about the way audio is handled. The solution would be to re-write the plugin so it acts like a real Audio Codec. If I had the time, I'd give it a shot, but don't count on it. I played around a bit with the sample Audio Codec in the Developer folder, and it looks feasible. An adapted version of the current plug-in will probably still be required to allow opening raw .ogg files, otherwise it would only be possible to use Ogg audio in QT movies and AIFF files (which will also be cool of course).
For more info, check the QTComponents project forum.

The chance that Apple will include native Ogg support in QuickTime or iTunes in the near future, is small. I mailed someone at Apple and he said that there are companies that will try to sue any major company that embraces Ogg, to protect their own patented formats. Although Ogg is patent-free and there won't be valid proof for a lawsuit, lawyers will always find ways to annoy the other company and make the lawsuit cost a lot. The guy at Apple did't give any names, but I guess MicroSnort is the N°1 candidate for such a strategy.
In other words, if we want Ogg support back, we'll have to do it ourselves.

Why it doesn't work and how it could be fixed
Authored by: DrLex on Aug 20, '05 12:05:33PM
To avoid confusion: with "acts like a real Audio Codec", I don't mean: "acts like a RealAudio codec" :)
I mean that the current plug-in is a weird construction which seems to 'import' the whole file when it is opened, and then feeds the audio to QT, or even directly to the sound output. That explains why opening a file always causes an annoying delay, streaming is impossible, and why iTunes can't use the visualizer, sound enhancer or equalizer on Ogg audio. With a decent Audio Codec, written to Apple specifications, these problems should be gone.

OGG Vorbis on iTunes 5/Quicktime 7 FIXED
Authored by: skinlayers on Sep 20, '05 03:18:35AM

Its a work in progress, but apparently it works.

OGG Vorbis on iTunes 5/Quicktime 7 FIXED
Authored by: miknight on Sep 21, '05 11:35:57AM

It definitely does work, thanks to Arek. I can finally listen to my Ogg podcasts again.