Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.4: A fix for the Cisco VPN Client 4.6.03' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.4: A fix for the Cisco VPN Client 4.6.03
Authored by: Schwie on Jun 14, '05 09:08:50PM

Has anyone seen the following error message? I tried uninstalling, reinstalling, and restarting, and nothing seems to get the VPN Client to launch. Help!

Error 51: Unable to communicate with the VPN subsystem.
Please make sure that you have at least one network interface that is active and has an IP address and start this application again.

My AirPort Card is receiving an IP address, I have connectivity to the internet, and I even tried turning IPv6 off in in favor of IPv4. Nothing seems to help. Help!

10.4: A fix for the Cisco VPN Client 4.6.03
Authored by: Schwie on Jun 14, '05 09:59:51PM

I figured it out!

Over the weekend, I transferred some files over to an iMac that didn't have AirPort and its ethernet port was fried. So, I set up Internet Sharing using Firewire between the iMac and my TiBook.

After I finished transferring the files over, I disconnected the Firewire and disabled the Firewire port on my TiBook in the Network preferences, but I never turned off Internet Sharing. This is kind of a bug in Mac OS X, because while the Macs were disconnected, I went back into Internet Sharing, and the buttons were grayed out - so, I assumed that Internet Sharing was off, but the Cisco VPN Client still didn't work...

Low and behold, when I went into Network Preferences on the TiBook, turned the Firewire port back on, and then checked Internet Sharing tab under Sharing, the buttons were lit up again, and it revealed to me that Internet Sharing was on! After I clicked stop, and then disabled the Firewire port again, the Cisco VPN Client connected again!!! Woohoo!

10.4: A fix for the Cisco VPN Client 4.6.03
Authored by: Anonymous on Jun 18, '05 12:44:25AM

THERE IS A BUG!!!!!! (I think!)

I was getting the same error you were, Error 51:Unable to connect the VPN Subsystem...

I did NOT have Internet Sharing via Firewire turned on (I have had no reason to even use it) but...when I looked, it was ON!

I think something in the installation is turning Internet Sharing via Firewire "on".

Turned it off, and the VPN client works great! Works with Internet Sharing over Airport or Ethernet on, but not Firewire.

---
"The cemeteries of the world are full of indispensable men"
Charles de Gaulle

10.4: A fix for the Cisco VPN Client 4.6.03
Authored by: ogunasek on Jun 26, '05 08:17:14PM

I also have this problem. (Error 51)

Oliver

10.4: A fix for the Cisco VPN Client 4.6.03
Authored by: ogunasek on Jun 26, '05 08:23:11PM

I found the following:

Macintosh OS X 10.4 (Tiger) users may receive the following error message:

Error 51: IPC socket allocation failed with error fffffffffffffffch. This is most likely due to the Cisco Systems, Inc. VPN service not being started. Please start this service and try again.

To correct this problem, open a terminal window and type:
sudo /System/Library/StartupItems/CiscoVPN/CiscoVPN restart

If this does not correct the problem, try rebooting your system.

10.4: A fix for the Cisco VPN Client 4.6.03
Authored by: giantmike on Jun 28, '05 08:37:27AM

Thanks a ton ogunasek!

I didn't have firewire sharing on like those other people, so I was kind of scared there would not be an answer for me. But your suggestion worked perfectly.

---