Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.4: Cut down on the World Clock widget's CPU usage' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.4: Cut down on the World Clock widget's CPU usage
Authored by: barrysharp on Jun 13, '05 01:00:05PM

Geeesh - I don't mean to be overly critical about this, but I have three world clocks running all the time with their second hands operative. They take precious little cpu time and with the amount of white space on my 2x 2.5 GHz system it's of no significant consequence. Maybe this is more of a problem with systems with limited CPU resource but it sure isn't with the latest crop of Apple Macs IMO.

This CPU use needs quantifying with and without the second hand operative to allow others to make an informed decision.

---
Regards... Barry Sharp

10.4: Cut down on the World Clock widget's CPU usage
Authored by: diamondsw on Jun 13, '05 01:59:20PM
Yes, I imagine it isn't a problem with the second fastest Mac made. I hate to tell you, the VAST majority of people are still on G4's (and even G3's!), not a dual processor 2.5Ghz G5...

10.4: Cut down on the World Clock widget's CPU usage
Authored by: barrysharp on Jun 14, '05 12:29:42AM

Oh pls - don't get so defensive. I was being constructive for heavens sake. I still maintain this needs qunatifying before people make the leap of faith. It's kinda like everybody rushing out to configure swap space on a separate partition or separate disk - what a waste of time.

---
Regards... Barry Sharp

10.4: Cut down on the World Clock widget's CPU usage
Authored by: sigma8 on Jun 14, '05 04:57:54PM

My mac is a laptop, and one thing I hate, is when the CPU is ramped up for no good reason, and my noisy fan spins up. I don't use the world clock widget very often, so I probably won't make this change.

But the second hand is pretty useless, and I think it's definitely a good tip for anyone who is making extensive use of the widgets, or who use their widget-top as an idle screen or screensaver.

10.4: Cut down on the World Clock widget's CPU usage
Authored by: barrysharp on Jun 14, '05 12:36:57AM

Oh - and in case you hadn't realized the World clock widget will only comsume CPU time when it's displaying and not while it's Docked. So if one only infrequently unDocks the Dashboard there's little reason to remove the second hand.

---
Regards... Barry Sharp

10.4: Cut down on the World Clock widget's CPU usage
Authored by: pete.boardman on Jun 13, '05 03:10:16PM

I also wanted to reduce cpu usage of this clock, since I'm running two or three of them on the desktop rather than in Dashboard. But I found I didn't need to switch off seconds altogether - I just removed the 'sproing' animation effect - which is cool and neat, but unnecessary. Before edits, the World Clock used 10% CPU; with edits, but still with seconds and a digital clock, I've got it down to 1.8%.

But the main modification I made was to convert to 24 hour analog operation. More here. :-)

The only problem is wondering what changes Apple make to the original when they issue a new version...

10.4: Cut down on the World Clock widget's CPU usage
Authored by: locklin on Jun 13, '05 09:22:05PM

Hey Pete,

How do you remove just the 'sproing' efect?

10.4: Cut down on the World Clock widget's CPU usage
Authored by: CraigStanton on Jun 14, '05 06:32:20AM

From my original hint:

Now change this line to stop it from calculating the sway of the second hand.
<code> timerInterval = setInterval("updateTime(true);", 1000);</code>
to
<code> timerInterval = setInterval("updateTime(false);", 1000);</code>

10.4: Cut down on the World Clock widget's CPU usage
Authored by: Jeff Fork on Mar 13, '08 03:31:12PM

obviously, yes, i know the post i am replying to is almost 2 years old, but i had the same question, so this might help someone.

also, the "no seconds" fix does not work in 10.5 as the "true" string does not exist.

to remove the "sproing" animation only, i found this:
find "sproing" in the WorldClock.js
find the line:

var secondsSweepbackMax = 0.15;

change to:

var secondsSweepbackMax = 0;

worked for me, hope this helps!