Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!


Click here to return to the 'Buy now or wait?' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Buy now or wait?
Authored by: ebow on Jun 09, '05 12:07:31PM
I'm in almost exactly the same boat. My G3 iMac is nearly 5 years old, and while it's mostly good enough for what I do with it, I've been promising myself a new computer for a while now. My take on the situation is:
  • If I got a new iMac and the Intel transition wasn't happening, it would last me 4-5 years.
  • Even with the transition, I'll probably feel compelled to make it last as long.
  • The apps I want to use (mainly iApps, Office, mail, and web) might stop being updated for PPC in 2.5 years or so, which could leave me with "stale" apps for 1.5 - 2.5 years.
  • But even if that's the case I probably won't mind, judging by my current habits (e.g. I find Office v.X and iPhoto 2 good enough to put up with until I get a new computer).
So if you're in a situation similar to mine, a new iMac might just be the thing to coast you well past the transition without sacraficing too much. Hmm, I could even treat myself to one of the inevitably sweet notebooks in 3 years or so if the iMac is really showing limitations.

And yet, part of me thinks getting a Mac mini would be the smarter move right now, to last me maybe 3 years until the 2nd revisions of Intel-based Macs are available. Tricky call.

[ Reply to This | # ]