Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.4: Build a better Safari' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.4: Build a better Safari
Authored by: sparty3 on Jun 08, '05 10:22:04AM

OK, now that I've got it built...does anyone have an expansion on the "TODO: Talk about how to replace your system WebKit.framework, and why you probably don't want to, once we have scripts that help you do that." note in the build instructions?

In particular, I've been using Safari with the new framework for more than ten minutes now without noticing any problems, so I'd like to use the new WebKit, at least with Safari, by default. However, when I open new pages and such, the "normal" Safari install is getting the pages, not the updated one. Furthermore, I can't add the run-safari script to my Dock, which would make starting Safari harder.

Any thoughts?

(I'm rather close to finding the relevant .Framework dirs on my machine and moving stuff to see what happens, but I suppose I should wait at least another half hour before doing that.)

10.4: Build a better Safari
Authored by: jasenko on Jun 08, '05 10:26:25AM

That is easy, just replace the Webkit.framework in /System/Library/Frameworks and add other frameworks to the same folder (Javascript, Webcore...)
Run your newly built Safari and enjoy it

10.4: Build a better Safari
Authored by: Tony Arnold on Jun 08, '05 04:58:48PM

Ack, DON'T DO THIS!!!!

For one thing, this version of WebKit appears to crash Dashboard Widgets if they are run against the newly compiled framework. Seriously, stick with the script for your own safety.

10.4: Build a better Safari
Authored by: jasenko on Jun 08, '05 08:55:55PM

Yup, you are right, I found that Installer and Software Update are also crashing.
For me, it's a small price to pay to get usable Safari. If you are uncertain what's best for you, don't do this.

10.4: Build a better Safari
Authored by: kahless on Jun 08, '05 11:53:30AM
Check out this hint for creating a .term file and modify the hint so that it will execute run-safari. I am in the process of trying to do this now. Once the .term is done you should be able to put it in the Dock and have it launch the Development Safari.

10.4: Build a better Safari
Authored by: kahless on Jun 08, '05 01:36:48PM
I have a working .term called SafariDev.term that will launch Safari using run-safari but will not display a Terminal window. It is kind of long so I don't think I can post it but the general idea is to open a Terminal window and then do File -> Save. In the dialog box give the term file a name and under "When opening this file:" select "Execute this command" and paste in the path to run-safari. I also checked "Execute command in shell". The file should be saved to ~/Library/Application Support/Terminal/filename.term. If you would like to prevent a Terminal window from showing up then open filename.term in your favorite text editor and search for

<key>IsMiniaturized</key>
<string>NO</string>
and change NO to YES and save. You should now be able to put filename.term in the Dock and use it to launch the development version of Safari.

10.4: Build a better Safari
Authored by: LegoEvan on Jun 08, '05 12:00:49PM
Make an automator application that runs the shell script

/Users/name/builds/WebKitTools/scripts/run-safari
Then you can change the icon and everything. You can even set the application as the default .html program, etc. Evan

---
Give me a lever large enough and a place to stand, and I will make use of Fudd's Law.

10.4: Build a better Safari
Authored by: kuginomura on Jun 08, '05 02:47:02PM

nice hint. however, the script application seems to hang up everytime i run it...and i have to force quit the script application. but safari runs fine using the new WebKit.

it seems possible to also set an Automator workflow to do a new build...has anyone tried this yet?