Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'You have to create this UTI.' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
You have to create this UTI.
Authored by: rotaiv on Jun 03, '05 03:36:57PM
I downloaded your bundle and modified the info.plist to include VBS scripts files I have backed up from my XP Desktop. See below for the contents of my updated info.plist file.

Once that was done, I went into the folder with my .VBS files and ran, "mdimport -d1 ." The files are still showing up as having no mdimporter. Is there something else I need to do?

Any help you can give would be appreciated :)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
                                </array>
                        </dict>
                </dict>
        </array>
</dict>
</plist>

You have to create this UTI.
Authored by: rotaiv on Jun 03, '05 03:44:52PM
I forget to mention, I also followed the steps in the first comment and updated the /System/Library/Spotlight/RichText.mdimporter/Contents/Info.plist and added a new string, com.biapo.vbs-script in the LSItemContentTypes: section.

You have to create this UTI.
Authored by: atverd on Jun 03, '05 03:48:05PM

Are they reported as com.biapo.vbs-script now? If so you have to use the original hint to update Info.plist in RTF mdimporter. If they still reported as dyn.** I don't know. It works for me.

You have to create this UTI.
Authored by: rotaiv on Jun 04, '05 12:04:58AM

They are still showing up as dyn.*. I logged out, moved the application out and back into the Applications folder and same thing.

Re: You have to create this UTI.
Authored by: Uncle Asad on Jun 03, '05 08:57:31PM

You sometimes have to move an app out of /Applications (e.g., to the Desktop) and then back into /Applications, or logout, in order for LaunchServices to pick up any user-generated changes to Info.plist. Perhaps that's the problem with mdimport and UTI types, too.

Re: You have to create this UTI.
Authored by: atverd on Jun 06, '05 01:42:43AM

I think this is it, but the problems is that simple moving a bundle between directories doesn't always update the internal UTIs database (or whatever it is). The only reliable way I could find is to create an archive of the bundle (right click, create archive f.e.), then remove the bundle and empty trash, then unpack the archive back. Looks like LaunchServices cares only about creation and removal of an object and ignoring it's modifications.
I hope someone can point me to a simpler method...

Re: You have to create this UTI.
Authored by: encro on Apr 09, '06 08:59:56AM
You could always take the brute force method of deleting the launch services cache remembering that this will reset a lot of user remembered details with regards to opening/launching applications:

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user