Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Motorola v188 and T-Mobile USB modem setup' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Authored by: SneakyT on May 29, '05 03:50:11PM
V180 works with iSync but the V188 was not working for me. I added support for it by adding the folowing lines to /Applications: iSync.app: Contents: PlugIns: ApplePhoneConduit.syncdevice: Contents: PlugIns: PhoneModelsSync.phoneplugin: Contents: Resources: MetaClasses.plist:

<key>com.motorola.V188</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Identification</key>
		<dict>
			<key>com.apple.cgmi+cgmm</key>
			<array>
				<string>"Motorola CE, Copyright 2000"+"GSM900","GSM1800","GSM1900","MODEL=V188"</string>
				<string>"Motorola CE, Copyright 2000"+"GSM900","GSM1800","GSM1900","GSM850","MODEL=V188"</string>
				<string>"Motorola CE, Copyright 2000"+"GSM900","GSM1900","GSM850","MODEL=V188ENS"</string>
			</array>
					<key>PhoneIcon</key>
					<string>MOTV188.tiff</string>
				</dict>
			</dict>
		</array>
	</dict>
Hope that this helps anyone else who read this wandering why it wasn't syncing for them. The icon is not the correct one but you can make one of your own.

Authored by: gropo on Jun 02, '05 04:42:00PM

SneakyT, you just made my day......

Authored by: bmorisky on Jun 08, '05 09:09:55PM

Very cool tip. I am getting my sync cable and hope this works.

Authored by: SneakyT on Jun 09, '05 12:23:20AM

Glad I could help.

Authored by: bmorisky on Jun 10, '05 08:14:28PM

Awesome this really worked perfectly first try. If anyone wants a tiff for the icon I posted it at http://brianmorisky.home.comcast.net/MOTV188.tiff

Authored by: bmorisky on Jul 12, '05 09:47:56PM

This was broken by iSync 2.1. Any hints?

Authored by: newtonick on Jul 13, '05 05:48:15PM
I found a solution in iSync 2.1 (88.0), I just guessed and tried something and it worked for me. So, instead of inserting the code suggested above, I used this code instead.

<key>com.motorola.V188</key>
					<key>PhoneIcon</key>
					<string>MOTV188.tiff</string>
				</dict>
			</dict>
		</array>
	</dict>

All I did was copy v180 code in the MetaClass.plist file and insert v188 for v180. worked for me, hope it works for somebody else.

Authored by: sjonke on Jul 14, '05 10:23:13AM

Woohoo! That seems to work - thanks so much! I just got the v188, to replace my horrid Sony Erricson T68i. So far I like it more than my old t68i with a few exceptions. For one the voice dialing is pathetically bad. Really bad. For me it just doesn't work - I can't even record a voice name while driving my car - it just keeps saying to talk louder. If I do record one in a quiet room it records fine, but then is not recognized while driving, even if there is only one voice name recorded at all!

Worse, though, is that there does not seem to be a way to have the address book sort by last name. I suppose most people must like it sorted by first name, but I don't. I suppose iSync ought to give me an option as to how to set the "name" on the phone, so I suppose this is also a fault of iSync.

Also is there any way to get the address book to *not* show numbers on the SIM card? I have my nice one entry per person with multiple numbers per person on the phone, but it insists upon also showing the numbers on the SIM card, which to make matters worse, and for some odd reason, are all listed as separate entries! Net result is I see multiple and redundant entries for everyone! Is there any way to turn off showing of SIM card numbers? I sure couldn't find it anywhere in the menus. Alternatively, is there an easy way to delete all the phone numbers on the SIM card? Since I'm syncing with iSync, I don't really need the numbers on the card any more. Again I couldn't find a command to do this.

My T68i, awful as it was for actually making calls and in terms of physical quality of the phone (it is an utter piece of junk), it did, over all, have better software. Oh well. I'll still take the v188 over the T68i any day. And, incidentally, if you are wondering if bluetooth syncing was better - the answer is unquestionably, no! The problem with bluetooth syncing is that if you sync'd when you didn't have the phone handy (I also sync with my Palm) or bluetooth turned on on the phone, then iSync would sit there searching for the phone for quite a long time before moving on. The end result was that I always had to manually disable and enable syncing with the phone, thus eliminating any convenience that bluetooth might otherwise have provided. I'd much rather plug in a USB cable, plus I think it is faster too.

---
--- What?

Authored by: Shri on Jul 18, '05 12:09:13AM

Using this code (thank you!) I was able to find the phone, but when I sync it, no data is put onto the phone. I was able to erase data on the phone via isync, so I know that the connection works.

Any suggestions? I have all my contacts in the mac address book.

Thanks,
Shri

Authored by: Shri on Jul 17, '05 08:58:09PM

Hi,

I am a complete newbie to the mac and am trying to sync my v188 phone. Can you please tell me how to add the code? i.e. where should I add it and how do I get to where it needs to be added (please don't laugh at me :))

Thanks,
Shri

Authored by: Shri on Jul 17, '05 11:50:25PM

IGNORE -- I figured it out. The second block of code worked for me! Thank you very much!!!

--Shri

Authored by: norhinks on Jul 31, '05 01:19:54AM

Okay, I would luv to sync my v188 to my mac (10.3).
I am a dedicated mac user. Mac heads might consider me a "Dummy"
I just don't understand the instructions...suggested code. How do you get to the place where you enter this text.
And if I'm really a 'green horn' to all this stuff, should I really be asking you all how to do this???
Just curious. I'd like to sync, but I really don't want to mess up my computer, either.
Do you have to have 10.4 to make it work, or can 10.3 be trifled with to make it sync???
Thanks so very much for any help.
Norhinks