Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.4: Use regular expressions in Mail 2.0' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.4: Use regular expressions in Mail 2.0
Authored by: da5idonimac on May 25, '05 11:14:53AM

i am not sure if i am missing something, but when editing the rules for a smart mailbox, you can add multiple rules and sepcify whether one or all rules have to apply.

10.4: It IS a bug, and exists with FILTER Rules as well
Authored by: keymaker on May 25, '05 12:21:38PM

"i see there is a problem if you have 3 or more rules and want something like (x AND y) OR z. however, in the case of the poster you could simply specify to add the email if one argument of the two applies."

That's exactly what they meant. The OR (ANY) selection within mail DOES NOT WORK the way it's supposed to when you've selected the 'Entire Message' & 'Contains'. I noticed this problem immediately after upgrading 3 weeks ago and using the smart folders like a filter. By the way the FILTER RULES have the EXACT same problem.

Just as the example of what i did.

I have a smartbox with 7 parameters ranging from Subject, To, From, Any Recipients, (lets say the parameters are AAA, BBB, CCC...etc). Using OR (ANY) of the rules putting the messages into the folder, I end up with 139 emails that have at least 1 of the parameters. Duplicating a parametter, say AAA BUT for "entire message" Gave me 1 result, however, unlike the original posting here, it did NOT meet all 8 parameters. So for me at least, it did not turn the rule into a purely AND rule. Either way, as a purely OR type rule set you should never have reduced results when adding a new parameter to an OR style restriction.

I've already sent a bug report to apple, but maybe someone should send another one so they know it isn't an isolated case. I've already duplicated this problem and several computers.

10.4: It IS a bug, and exists with FILTER Rules as well
Authored by: designbot on May 25, '05 02:34:16PM
This bug is very annoying, and makes the Smart Mailboxes all but useless for me. (As a side note, why can we search for messages sent by members of a certain group, but not messages sent to members of a certain group?) How do we report it to Apple?

10.4: It IS a bug, and exists with FILTER Rules as well
Authored by: n8gray on May 25, '05 05:14:06PM

You will have to sign up for a free ADC membership if you haven't already.

10.4: It IS a bug, and exists with FILTER Rules as well
Authored by: pediddle on May 26, '05 12:15:36AM

I agree -- not being able to search for messages TO a group makes smart folders useless for me. I'd like to have a smart folder containing all my conversations with a group, but without including sent mail, I only see half the conversation!

10.4: It IS a bug, and exists with FILTER Rules as well
Authored by: designbot on May 26, '05 01:06:33PM

I posted a bug report for the smart folders, and a feature request for finding messages sent to a group.

10.4: It IS a bug, and exists with FILTER Rules as well
Authored by: moritzh on May 27, '05 08:55:54AM

You are right, this is so annoying. I had 3 or 4 cool ideas about using smart folders (including what you wanted to do), but because of stupid GUI limitations such as this one I could not accomplish any of them. Sad. Smart folders are useless for me.