Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.4: Activate widgets via drag and drop' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.4: Activate widgets via drag and drop
Authored by: MtnBiker on May 24, '05 11:23:57AM

I know you all know this, but to add to the discussion. Cmd + shows or hides the toolbar when you're in Dashboard.

IMHO none of this matters too much as most will never use Dashboard or will forget about it after the fun wears off. As much as I enjoy seeing a webcam of Venice, I'll probably go back to using the RPN calculator I use, accessing the Address Book separately, etc.

If there were a poll option I would ask how many use ExposÚ?

---
Hermosa Beach, CA USA

10.4: Activate widgets via drag and drop
Authored by: poenn on May 24, '05 11:41:56AM

I knew both ways, which seems like I'm one the few who tried... :-)

You can also put a Widget manually in /Library/Widgets and just douleclick it. That opens Dashboard and adds the Widget. This is very nice because otherwise Dashboard needs some time or even a logout to "see" that I added a Widget manually into this directory. Well, I just could kill the Dock-process but hey.... :-)

10.4: Activate widgets via drag and drop
Authored by: jereynolds on May 24, '05 02:45:16PM

When I add a widget, I just click the "1 of 2" button a couple times and the new widget has always appeared when I get back to the right page. Have you tried that?

On the Expose topic, I use it every time I switch to a window thats covered up (which is pretty often since I use Safari in a full screen window). I use the "Window Switch" button on my MX700, but if I had to reach for the F keys all the time, I'm not sure I'd use it nearly as much.

10.4: Activate widgets via drag and drop
Authored by: therobloe on May 24, '05 11:45:42AM

I use Expose constantly, without fail. I mapped the middle scroll wheel button to the show all windows expose function and it's one of the most helpful things I've ever done. I also didn't know you could just click on the widget, I thought dragging it was standard.

I use widgets pretty consistently, especially the "Notepad" availible on Apple's website, as well as a handy calendar, and "iCal events" that lets me know what's going on in the next 24 hrs. I also check the weather every morning with a widget for that purpose. I don't think I'll get tired of the Dashboard, but some stuff IS handier from plain old finder, such as Address Book.

I use exposÚ constantly
Authored by: PeteVerdon on May 24, '05 05:51:26PM

I use exposÚ constantly.

I'm completely screwed when I sit down in front of a Linux machine, or even my friend's iBook since he has a different activation method for exposÚ.

Perhaps it's because Panther was the first version of OS X I used, but I really struggle to go back to manual window management. The exposÚ method - have a big untidy stack of as many windows as you like, since you can find the right one in a flash - is far, far easier.

Pete

10.4: Activate widgets via drag and drop
Authored by: sjmills on May 24, '05 09:01:37PM

ExposÚ? Constantly. Scroll wheel button shows all window for current app. With a dozen or more windows open in CodeWarrior, it's a lot easier to hit that button than to move the mouse up to the Windows menu and try to locate a window by name, when I can recognize it by the "look" of the text much faster in the shrunken ExposÚ window.

And for dragging stuff from the desktop to Mail messages, etc, ExposÚ is a must and much faster than opening a new Desktop window with DragThing.

Once they fix the widgets I use (and speed up the response time - sometimes it takes multiple clicks to get things to respond), I'll find Dashboard a bit more useful.

10.4: Activate widgets via drag and drop
Authored by: stellertony on May 24, '05 10:49:42PM

I use ExposÚ all the time. When I sit down at a computer running Jaguar or one of my school's rainbow iMacs, I always catch myself reaching for the ExposÚ keys and grumbling when they don't do anything.

---
feeding the world its brain food
www.bookcrossing.com

10.4: Activate widgets via drag and drop
Authored by: Micah_Gideon on May 25, '05 09:37:28AM
This may not be the best place to perform such a poll seeing as how the posters are looking for hints to get the most out of the OS. I'm guessing the majority of us use every stupid and seemingly useless feature in an effort to raise our enjoyment of the toy as well as productivity. Personally, I use expose all the time! I use SidTrack by RagingMenace and have the corners of my trackpad mapped to expose functions and use them constantly. It is quite a timesaver for me and is one of those features I feel MS is bound to rip off in some fashion. However, as I tried to indicate above, I wouldn't say that I or any other posters here are typical users...

10.4: Activate widgets via drag and drop
Authored by: MtnBiker on May 25, '05 01:23:26PM

I wasn't serious about the poll. More users of MacOSXHints are likely to use ExposÚ than the general user population. My point was more towards how many of all Tiger users will use Dashboard or ExposÚ and of those, how many will change the default.

But one of the comments got me try ExposÚ again. I needed to copy some screen shots to an email. Great for that. I usually forget it's there.

One user said he'd always used it, but he started with Panther. I started with OS 1 (System 1 or whatever the first system was called--scary to think that was 20 years ago--first Mac was a Plus--for you newcomers, the whole system fit on one floppy--400k--enough reminiscing!).

---