Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.4: Activate Dashboard via a PowerBook's Fn key' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.4: Activate Dashboard via a PowerBook's Fn key
Authored by: mikey8270 on May 15, '05 05:52:38PM

Would there be any way to modify this file so that on a powerbook the expose keys DON'T require fn, but keyboard backlight adjustments do? I want everything to stay the same except the behavior of F9 and F10. Thanks.

10.4: Activate Dashboard via a PowerBook's Fn key
Authored by: mzarra on May 15, '05 06:20:36PM

Yes. Go into the keyboard preference pane and on the keyboard tab select "Use the F1-F12 keys to control software features". After selecting this it will require function to use the brightness and volume controls.

Expose will be unchanged unless you change it specifically in the expose panel.

10.4: Activate Dashboard via a PowerBook's Fn key
Authored by: mikey8270 on May 15, '05 09:13:01PM

Well I said I only want to change the function of F9 and F10, not F1-F12. I would like F1 and F2 to control screen brightness, not fn+F1 or fn+F2, etc. and ONLY change F9 and F10.

Is that possible?

10.4: Activate Dashboard via a PowerBook's Fn key
Authored by: qwerty denzel on May 16, '05 02:03:54AM

Huh? I'm confused. Do you want exposť to be Fn-F9 and Fn-F10? If so then go to the exposť system preferences pane and hold down Fn whilst choosing the F9 and F10 items.

10.4: Activate Dashboard via a PowerBook's Fn key
Authored by: mikey8270 on May 16, '05 04:10:42AM

Let me clarify then: by default on my 15" powerbook, f9 and f10 are set to control brightness of the backlit keyboard and fn+f9 and fn+f10 do expose...even though they are set to just f9 and f10 in expose preferences.

What I'd like to do is switch this behavior for just these two keys -- make f9 and f10 do expose, and make fn+f9 and fn+f10 do backlit keyboard brightness. While doing this, id like to make sure that f1 - f8 to keep their current behavior.

10.4: Activate Dashboard via a PowerBook's Fn key
Authored by: scottjenson on May 16, '05 07:50:46AM

This is my biggest beef with the powerbook team being rather out of step with the OS team. This too drives me crazy. The powerbook team as basically 'taken over' the function keys in a way that is incompatible with the OS:

1) They load up the function keys with things I don't need (like backlight control)
2) They FINALLY provide me a way to turning it off in Panther (but it is all keys or nothing!)
3) There is no way just turn off the 'crazy fn keys'

I just wish the powerbook team would use the keyboard control pannel like everything ELSE in the operating system! That way I turn turn off any of the overly zealous powerbook function keys without ripping every friggn' out of them out. This isn't asking too much is it?

Actually it is as I use to work at Apple and the Powerbook/System Software teams were practical strangers. They rarely coordinated on anything so asking for this type of 'deeper design cooperation' is probably a lost cause...

Scott