Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.4: Talk to Yahoo and MSN IM users within iChat' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.4: Talk to Yahoo and MSN IM users within iChat
Authored by: zedwards on May 15, '05 12:38:22PM

I still have yet to see a simple discussion regarding actually getting a jabber account: who, where, how?

10.4: Talk to Yahoo and MSN IM users within iChat
Authored by: tramo on May 15, '05 12:54:02PM
How ? You can use Psi (or any other Jabber supporting client), create a new account (johndoe@yourserver.org), and tick an option saying that you want register a new account. The client will make the account on the server for you.

Where ? This is the more complicated question. There are many public Jabber servers available, so you'll have to just pick one. The only trouble is that there are no real criteria to determine which you should pick, which ones are reliable, which one have recent Yahoo, MSN, AIM transports, ... Picking one near to you certainly helps, although that's not always mentioned either. Amessage are pretty popular servers these days.

10.4: Talk to Yahoo and MSN IM users within iChat
Authored by: Jefe on Sep 01, '06 07:28:28AM
Sure. But does anyone know where I can find a list of stable, US-based Jabber servers and what transports they use? I mean, the jabber.org list was incomplete, and the new xmpp.org site is really incomplete. And the XMPP Federation list has a list of registered jabber servers, but most of them aren't truly publicly accessible (they're pay based).

I'm just looking for anything (server, local jabber software transport, magic, whatever) that I can use to access Yahoo from my iChat. I've been using (read: dealing with) Fire since the beginning of time (beginnings of OS X), and I don't care for Adium or any of the other crappy multi-transport IM clients I've found for OS X.

I have this feeling I'm going to have to write software myself.

Jabber Account
Authored by: lullabud on May 15, '05 01:19:03PM

Jabber isn't like AOL or MSN, it's an open chat protocol. We run a Jabber server at my work for everybody to use as a workflow tool. OS 10.4 Server comes with a Jabber server. You can also download an install different servers depending on what you're running. The most popular, afaik, is Jabberd

10.4: Talk to Yahoo and MSN IM users within iChat
Authored by: mfuhrer on May 15, '05 04:10:20PM
An illustrated, step-by-step guide for setting up a Jabber account and registering it with iChat is available here.

10.4: Talk to Yahoo and MSN IM users within iChat
Authored by: Kesh on May 15, '05 07:10:44PM

I second that tutorial. Though I use a different server, the basic idea is exactly the same. Psi can set up your new account just fine.

Also, if you read the comments to that article, they recommend deleting any contacts that show up in Psi. Once you do that, and set up the folks in your Address Book properly, iChat will be able to use the names/aliases from your Address Book instead of the ones that the IM server uses.

10.4: Talk to Yahoo and MSN IM users within iChat
Authored by: jago_lebow on May 16, '05 01:19:09PM

I can't seem to get yahoo to work ... what server are you usning that works ?

jabber.org.uk I can't register for yahoo with ...

10.4: Talk to Yahoo and MSN IM users within iChat
Authored by: chadmichaeleyer on May 15, '05 05:50:42PM

I seem to be able to use MSN and ICQ fine, but I can't receive and IMs from the Yahoo! transport. Anyone else have this trouble?